Rust Porting Begins For Intel's "e1000" Linux Network Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Volta View Post

Syntax is very important, because you're dealing with it all the time.
    Yes, I would strongly agree with this. Language features/performance/etc. are all very important to a successful implementation but syntax is really the human - > language interface.

Assembly is by far the highest performance and arguably the most flexible language, but by its nature it is an abuse on the programmer and therefore only used where every last drop of performance is needed.

At the other end of the scale is PHP... its just an abuse on reason...

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post

Syntax is very important, because you're dealing with it all the time.
      Only in the initial phase. You get used to anything after a while. I hear some people can even read C or C++.

Comment

• Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Only in the initial phase. You get used to anything after a while. I hear some people can even read C or C++.
        I did quite a bit of C in school and a bit of C++, its not to bad syntactically... in a lot of ways under the hood its a bit of a beast but I never got to that level.

By far the worst I have had to deal with is PHP, under the hood its an infinite number of cats dancing on an infinite number of keyboards... in an infinite number of universes, only in one is it a reasonable language... and this universe is not that one!

Comment

• Originally posted by zexelon View Post

I did quite a bit of C in school and a bit of C++, its not to bad syntactically... in a lot of ways under the hood its a bit of a beast but I never got to that level.

By far the worst I have had to deal with is PHP, under the hood its an infinite number of cats dancing on an infinite number of keyboards... in an infinite number of universes, only in one is it a reasonable language... and this universe is not that one!
          I've never seen a PHP equivalent for this: https://www.ioccc.org
          (I have very little experience with PHP: one project in college, about 20 years ago, and a few pages in Wordpress for a friend since. Afaiu, Angular pretty much killed it.)

I mean, yes, back when I was learning them, I had no problem with either C or C++. Still, once you discover macros or operator overloading (for C++), you can start doing some pretty insane things.

The base syntax, let's face it, it's pretty much the same for almost every language. Declarations, variable types, structs, functions, objects maybe, generics, async/await. They're all the same, they're just not using the same keywords. Some are easier on the eye, some aren't, but you'd be at home with any of them you used them a couple of months for a full-time job.

Comment

I've never seen a PHP equivalent for this: https://www.ioccc.org
            (I have very little experience with PHP: one project in college, about 20 years ago, and a few pages in Wordpress for a friend since. Afaiu, Angular pretty much killed it.)
            PHP usage is very dominant still in major part because of wordpress but a lot of well known websites still use PHP in some form including Facebook, Slack and Spotify. https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/pl-php puts the marketshare at 77.4% Since majority of it is PHP 7, this is mostly active usage and not just legacy as well. ​People love to complain about PHP and underestimate how heavily it is used.

Comment

• Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

PHP usage is very dominant still in major part because of wordpress but a lot of well known websites still use PHP in some form including Facebook, Slack and Spotify. https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/pl-php puts the marketshare at 77.4% Since majority of it is PHP 7, this is mostly active usage and not just legacy as well. ​People love to complain about PHP and underestimate how heavily it is used.
              Oh, I know it's still used in a lot of places. My takeaway from what that guy told me is that new projects heavily favor Angular over PHP.
              Fwiw, I didn't find PHP hard to use. But then again, I only did some very basic stuff with it.

Comment

My takeaway from what that guy told me is that new projects heavily favor Angular over PHP.
                Isn't Angular just front-end, or did I miss an announcement? PHP for data backend and Angular for eye candy front-end should be a very doable pair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

Isn't Angular just front-end, or did I miss an announcement? PHP for data backend and Angular for eye candy front-end should be a very doable pair.
                  That's correct. Angular works best with REST, you may implement that however you like.

Comment

Working...
                  X