Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apache NetBeans 15 IDE Released

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apache NetBeans 15 IDE Released

    Phoronix: Apache NetBeans 15 IDE Released

    Following a slight release delay, yesterday saw the release of NetBeans 15 by the Apache Software Foundation as this Java-focused integrated deevelopment environment that also supports C/C++, PHP, JavaScript, and other languages...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/Apache-NetBeans-15

  • #2
    Typo:

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Apache NetBeans 15 IDE Released

    Following a slight release delay, yesterday saw the release of NetBeans 15 by the Apache Software Foundation as this Java-focused integrated deevelopment environment that also supports C/C++, PHP, JavaScript, and other languages...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/Apache-NetBeans-15

    Comment


    • #3
      I do wonder what is the master plan for NetBeans. Given that it is so much behind other IDEs I don't find any incentive to use it
      VSC is slowly killing all small IDEs and I guess at some point it will be on par with more feature complete apps like Eclipse or Intellij.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by grung View Post
        I do wonder what is the master plan for NetBeans. Given that it is so much behind other IDEs I don't find any incentive to use it
        VSC is slowly killing all small IDEs and I guess at some point it will be on par with more feature complete apps like Eclipse or Intellij.
        Eclipse would kill everything else, but it often brakes with component updates. I had to switch to Codeblocks, because of this. Normally I was using Gnome text editor, but Eclipse offers great GDB integration. Codeblocks is worse in this case, but still better than using GDB from terminal.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by grung View Post
          I do wonder what is the master plan for NetBeans. Given that it is so much behind other IDEs I don't find any incentive to use it
          VSC is slowly killing all small IDEs and I guess at some point it will be on par with more feature complete apps like Eclipse or Intellij.
          Yeah I really wonder who is using Netbeans at this point. At least when it comes to JVM, pretty much everyone uses Intellij with some people still using Eclipse. For other JVM based languages people can also use Visual Studio Code (which has LSP integrations with languages such as Scala).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            Yeah I really wonder who is using Netbeans at this point. At least when it comes to JVM, pretty much everyone uses Intellij with some people still using Eclipse. For other JVM based languages people can also use Visual Studio Code (which has LSP integrations with languages such as Scala).
            I'm using Netbeans for small Java projects. It works very well. Also it's free and open source in contrast to IntelliJ IDEA.

            EDIT: IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition is open source since 2009.
            Last edited by Sergey Podobry; 07 September 2022, 10:35 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sergey Podobry View Post
              I'm using Netbeans for small Java projects. It works very well. Also it's free and open source in contrast to IntelliJ IDEA.

              EDIT: IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition is open source since 2009.
              It's almost as dead as Java for greenfield interactive apps.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Volta View Post

                Eclipse would kill everything else, but it often brakes with component updates. I had to switch to Codeblocks, because of this...
                You can just use QtCreator instead.

                ​​​​​

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've been using NetBeans IDE for more than 15 years and I still find it more stable and their components better integrated than Eclipse's. To me it's a pleasure to work with it.

                  Some months ago I decided to try other IDEs more seriously than I did in the past, because I wanted to experiment with other languages/frameworks. And I found out that the situation of Eclipse IDE is not much better: lots of plug-ins are abandoned or don't work at all. The experience was good, but I like NB more.

                  When I tried IntelliJ IDEA I felt almost at home. The integration reminded me a lot to NetBeans but with sterioids. So I paid for a license (I need Jakarta EE support). However, I still can't understand why the symbols (in the navigator or outline pane) can't be ordered by order of apparition (in Java source files). It's a really absurd to me.

                  And about VS Code... I've mixed feelings. It's the editor with more activity nowadays and covers LOTS of languages/frameworks, but to me, it's far from IDEs with regard to Java.

                  So nowadays, I'm trying to get used to IDEA. But I'm switching back to NB every time, because it's hard to make the switch after so many years (no IDE has everything I want). I wish LSP gave NB a 2nd life, but I guess it's too complicated.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dr_wix View Post

                    You can just use QtCreator instead.

                    ​​​​​
                    For plain C? I'd probably check, but I don't want too much Qt on Gnome.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X