Qt 5.15.3 LTS Released With 200+ Bug Fixes, But Only For Commercial Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lumks View Post
    Pen and Paper let you develop C++ apps. Guess what? That doesn't make it great in any way. GTK is years behind Qt. GTK on Windows is still a joke. Let's see how this will change with 4

I doubt that a port would be worth the time. It might be easier and faster to start over and this would kill KDE (the community).
    KDE basically started over at 2, 3, 4 and 5. I don't think another start over would bother their users.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

The Qt company never saw any value in KDE, all the Qt company ever wanted was the KDE people to fix their bugs and sing that CLA so the Qt company can sell all that under their greedy proprietary license.
      Preach it brother....or sister !!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Pfff, What I think what I deserve? Jesus what do you think the KDE community deserves that does contribute for free and at giving up all rights to their contributions for 20 years for that damn toolkit does deserve. Not this, thats for sure.
        You've piqued my curiosity: what are your rights if you contribute a 100 line patch to a project the size of GTK? How did you exercise those rights?

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

So how long does it take? Do skills, workforce size and prior experience make a difference?
          If KDE could have EVER done it....don't you think they would have DECADES ago, especially during the Trolltech to Nokia dust up ??

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            I'm a 20+ years old KDE user and as sad as it sounds I'm starting to think that they should ditch QT for good.
            Well if you want the best KDE experience you will be running the latest version, so you won't be using LTS QT anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
              GTK is years behind Qt.
              In fantasy land. Qt is a buggy, bloated heavy mess no one wants to bother with anymore. People rather use f...ing chrome, a web browser to develop their "desktop" apps then Qt. Qt is a legacy, get that in your head.

GTK is fine, it does what it should do and still progresses fine even without being sold under a greedy proprietary license.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                So, both KDe and LXQt are excluded from Qt updates?!
                Bingo !

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  So, both KDe and LXQt are excluded from Qt updates?!
                  No, just LTS updates, which any decent desktop/distro won't be using anyway

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You've piqued my curiosity: what are your rights if you contribute a 100 line patch to a project the size of GTK? How did you exercise those rights?
                    You have copyright to those 100 lines of code. You can execute your usual copyrights.
                    Biggest feature is that no one can change the license of the whole project without the agreement of all contributors. A CLA that say "your copyright gets handed to the Qt Company" for example prevents that, it is the reason why the Qt Company can sell community contributions with their greedy proprietary license.

For more information, inform yourself on copyright in your nation and the concept of copyleft by copyright.

Comment

Seriously. Fork the last LGPLv3 version of Qt5. Throw out anything non-POSIX. Call this something like Kt5 and worry about fixing bugs from there. If people still want to use Qt in their cross-platform apps, then they can keep up with official Qt.

Comment

Working...
                      X