Qt 5.15.3 LTS Released With 200+ Bug Fixes, But Only For Commercial Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Well....let's see. Gnome Builder lets you compile in either GCC or Clang/LLVM. I would imagine most KDE apps are compiled in Clang/LLVM. So...not much work there. The raw C++ code should come right over as well. The GUI code in QT would be a little work to port over to GTK 4...or 3 if you're feeling antsy about the state of GTK 4. But there have been gnarlier ports before.

Many hands make for light work. Porting C++ / QT / KDE apps to C++ / GTK 3 or 4 / Gnome apps really in the grand scheme of ports, should not be a historically or precedent making thing.

I mean....it wouldn't be like porting a C++ / QT / KDE app to PyGObject / GTK 3 or 4 / Gnome app.
    It's a joke ? Going from the fire to the grill is not a great idea! KDE doesn't exist without QT, they use QT because they believe the best technology and they have some reason. So no, it will never happen! What's the problem ? The Lts versions of QT that nobody uses? Really ? Kde is happy to get rid of the Lts versions, because they don't use them.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      KRunner takes like 10 seconds to appear
      On a nearly decade-old laptop it takes 1/3 second for KRunner to appear - on the first start.
      Every start after that is absolutely instant.
      Every search takes 1/10 second to instant for a result.

What goes wrong at your side?

Comment

Are people here arguing that a mobile-first toolkit which looks like crap on the desktop (lots of white space, hidden controls, CSD, standard menus replaced with the kebab abomination, broken keyboard shortcuts), I'm talking about GTK3/4 is better than a pure desktop toolkit which supports mobile, i.e. Qt?

Let's just admit now that Linux on the desktop in terms of graphical toolkits is royally fucked. We've got mobile GTK crap and Qt proprietors. Is there anything feature-rich, actively supported, modern with good stable APIs and compatibility? Nothing it seems.

Here's a crazy idea though. I don't know how their licensing works but what if we crowdfund a commercial license for ... Linux? We don't even have to subscribe monthly - just buy a monthly subscription whenever there's a new fixed release and distribute it among distros ... legally, since we've obtained a license for that. Has anyone read their licensing agreement? Will that work?

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

On a nearly decade-old laptop it takes 1/3 second for KRunner to appear - on the first start.
          Every start after that is absolutely instant.
          Every search takes 1/10 second to instant for a result.

What goes wrong at your side?
          I am not sure, but KRunner takes so long to start on the first go.
          It's an HDD. Are you on SSD?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            KDE has always been a tech demo for showcasing Qt. And Qt has always been a commercial product masquerading as free software. All the KDE zealots must be feeling like idiots now for bashing GNOME and GTK. If all those open source developers actually contributed to the GTK/GNOME ecosystem instead of the KDE ecosystem, it would have been better for everyone.
            I will continue to bash GTK because it's been a ... proprietary RedHat toolkit for over a decade now. Close to 95% of Gnome/GTK developers are RedHat employees and they develop it how RedHat sees fit without giving a flying fuck about the community.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Are people here arguing that a mobile-first toolkit which looks like crap on the desktop (lots of white space, hidden controls, CSD, standard menus replaced with the kebab abomination, broken keyboard shortcuts), I'm talking about GTK3/4 is better than a pure desktop toolkit which supports mobile, i.e. Qt?

Let's just admit now that Linux on the desktop in terms of graphical toolkits is royally fucked. We've got mobile GTK crap and Qt proprietors. Is there anything feature-rich, actively supported, modern with good stable APIs and compatibility? Nothing it seems.

Here's a crazy idea though. I don't know how their licensing works but what if we crowdfund a commercial license for ... Linux? We don't even have to subscribe monthly - just buy a monthly subscription whenever there's a new fixed release and distribute it among distros ... legally, since we've obtained a license for that. Has anyone read their licensing agreement? Will that work?
              Crowdfunding a company is different from financing a project. It means that free software becomes non-free software dependent. It's rather necessary to integrate an alternative to Qt.
              Last edited by Azrael5; 04 March 2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Crowfunding a company is different from financing a project. It means that free software becomes non-free software dependent. It's rather necessary to integrate an alternative to Qt.
                I see absolutely zero issues with crowdfunding a crucial library which is needed by dozens of open source projects. An alternative to Qt will take at the very least 5 to 10 years to become a reality and will require millions of dollars.

On the other hand you can pay the Qt company ~ $250 each time they release a new LTS release which is going to cost pennies for KDE Ev.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I am not sure, but KRunner takes so long to start on the first go.
                  It's an HDD. Are you on SSD?
                  Yes, it's a:
                  Code:
                  === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
                  Model Family: Samsung based SSDs
                  Device Model: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
                  User Capacity: 500.107.862.016 bytes [500 GB]
                  Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
                  Rotation Rate: Solid State Device
                  TRIM Command: Available
                  Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
                  ATA Version is: ACS-2, ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4c
                  SATA Version is: SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
                  SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
                  SMART support is: Enabled

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

for me it is same i used KDE/Qt for like 17 years... now i use gnome and cinnamon.
                    I have used KDE for nearly 6 years, but have been using GNOME lately due to this very reason (and also to give myself a challenge to "fix" GNOME because KDE is a minefield and pressing any button may crash it).

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I see absolutely zero issues with crowdfunding a crucial library which is needed by dozens of open source projects. An alternative to Qt will take at the very least 5 to 10 years to become a reality and will require millions of dollars.

On the other hand you can pay the Qt company ~ $250 each time they release a new LTS release which is going to cost pennies for KDE Ev.
                      In my opinion, it's necessary that free-software be independent from commercial company, unless it becomes a product of the same company which can take control on the free product itself with its decisions acquiring the product. It could also be a kind of constriction to get money from users. So users could consider the possibility to pay for another kind of item on the market based on cost-benefit assessment.
                      Last edited by Azrael5; 04 March 2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X