Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google's New Lyra Voice Codec + AV1 Aim For Video Chats Over 56kbps Modems In 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    Just a reminder: 3G is 144kbit/s
    Not true. Even 2G/EDGE/Evolved EDGE provides down link of 600 kbps (real world). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanc..._GSM_Evolution
    Standard 2G/EDGE provides bandwidth up to 236 kbps.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
      What corpo?
      you said you try to avoid "big corpo". so why only big?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        In a world where nobody programs for efficiency anymore
        i am nobody

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          you said you try to avoid "big corpo". so why only big?
          Because that's what tooth fairy told me to do.

(stupid questions, stupid answers).

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            i am nobody
            Reported your post for useless posting/spamming. If you have nothing meaningful to add to this conversation, please don't.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post

I’m not quite sure how the neural network would be better when doing lossless audio codec.

AI and neural networks are really good at guessing things.

Maybe if the purpose is to use AI/neural networks to sort of brute force the best compression possible, and then slowly improve the speed.
              The way FLAC works is it stores info to make a decent guess of what the signal is and also stores the difference between the guess and the actual signal. if you can improve the guess, then the difference can be losslessly compressed into a smaller number of bits. My idea is to use a neural net to try to make a really good guess based on previously-decoded audio.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Most of rural US, Africa, rural Australia, bandwidth constrained wireless connections including satellite & cell connections at the peripheries of coverage, many areas of Central and South America. Starlink won't be a silver bullet for all of these areas, especially those without the means to afford it. "My cable ISP is out for a few hours" is a distinctly urban first world problem.
                The future is already here, it’s just unevenly distributed. -- William Gibson (as paraphrased by others) @ https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/0...e-has-arrived/

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                With 56k modems being 1990s late-steampunk era tech, I really wonder how much bandwidth could be squeezed down a dialup line using 2020s near-space-age tech wizardry.

We know what happened to wireless (data) speeds in that space of time.

Often only the last mile is analog anymore. The phone company's internal network is provisioned so that each call gets roughly a 64k ISDN BRI link worth of bandwidth. Less the overhead of running modulated digital data as analog audio through a digital link, and 56k is probably the theoretical maximum. (Heck, from what I remember, at least some jurisdictions have some kind of regulatory restriction or standard that has the side-effect of making 53k the theoretical attainable maximum.)

Rural US is a third world country
                I remember hearing a quote that the poor parts of the U.S. are "like a third-world country, but without the hope" back in the 90s.

Comment

Who is on 56k modem in 2021? I was when I was a kid. 20 years ago.
                  Problem with audio video today is not bandwidth, but bufferbloat and latency.
                  you could potentially look at building a VOIP application over Class C LoraWAN...

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                    Something like this was about time. In those 8MB AV1 clips, i mean movies, that gets encoded in AV1+Opus, the Opus part ends up taking the most bitrate.
                    "What are you doing in MY SWAMP?!"

Comment

What's the license and patent situation for Lyra? Can anyone except Google actually use it? What does its machine learning basis mean for usage by home users?

Comment

Working...
                      X