NihAV Is An Experimental Multimedia Framework Written In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I don't know about fair, but it makes it useless in corporate environments where you as a developer does have the power to decide to offer the core platform service offered as a software as a service for free.

But in my private life, I do like GPL for software, and LGPL for libraries, I also like MIT/X11/ISC/BSD license.
    Well, yes, various pieces of software are useless in various contexts. Not sure that point is worth raising.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I don't know about fair, but it makes it useless in corporate environments where you as a developer does have the power to decide to offer the core platform service offered as a software as a service for free.

But in my private life, I do like GPL for software, and LGPL for libraries, I also like MIT/X11/ISC/BSD license.
      ...and, often, AGPL is chosen because the people involved are offering a paid licensing alternative and explicitly thinking "Code or cash. If they're using it in a commercial project, I want them to pay something back."

Same way you see some stuff intended for building native apps offering a "GPL or paid licensing" choice.

Certainly better than the old "Personal use only. All others must buy a license." terms of things from the 90s like ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I couldn't say. It was a cluster setup and you could toggle services on each node... It's possible some services were mutually exclusive, I don't remember that part too well.

I'm also not sure that is a loophole. If AGPL allows you to use AGPL code over some interfaces, why not assume that was intended?
        The way I understand it is when the AGPL was written web services weren't as widely used as they are now so a lot of companies take advantage of the fact that there aren't any license restrictions if machine A runs data through all the closed source code and sends those results to machine B to run them through the AGPL code.

Some of the newer licenses explicitly forbid or grant that kind of usage which is why some call it a loophole in older licenses.

Comment

Working...
        X