NihAV Is An Experimental Multimedia Framework Written In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I am a free software enthusiast and lover of open source, but I would much prefer the LGPL, I really dislike the AGPL.
    Maybe next time you could actually explain WHY you dislike something?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Why are Rust project names so negative? Like:

- Rust (a bad thing for metals)
      Depends. In Dutch "rust" actually means "calm/peace/to rest"

And yes, I know they used the English term with the meaning you gave, but I frequently see people from the Linux/Phoronix community saying "but word "xxx" means "xyz" in my language!!!" (either positive or negative) so I wanted to join that game for once

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Maybe next time you could actually explain WHY you dislike something?
        Because when I am at work where I develop a commercial software as a service that we sell on a subscription I can't integrate AGPL software.

Comment

Because when I am at work where I develop a commercial software as a service that we sell on a subscription I can't integrate AGPL software.
          This is why I LIKE AGPL. Though most things I produce is AGPL, GPL or CC-BY-SA.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

This is why I LIKE AGPL. Though most things I produce is AGPL, GPL or CC-BY-SA.
            But if the company could use the AGPL software we would use it, and I would file issues on GitHub, file pull requests, join the community, improve the documentation, etc. But since it is AGPL we end up not using it at all.

Comment

But if the company could use the AGPL software we would use it, and I would file issues on GitHub, file pull requests, join the community, improve the documentation, etc. But since it is AGPL we end up not using it at all.
              And the creator of the software is entirely within their rights to decide they value one more than the other. You don't have a right to use the fruits of their labour for free.

Comment

Basically you're upset at any piece of software you can't integrate.
                Unfortunately for you, some software creators offer their work for free and in return they ask if you integrate it, you also offer your work for free. Do you think that's unfair?

Comment

It's interesting to me that an article about Rust turned into a licensing discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                    It's interesting to me that an article about Rust turned into a licensing discussion.
                    As opposed to the typical forums discussion that sticks to the subject for entire pages, right?
                    Me, I'm surprised it didn't go the "Intel/Nvidia is evil" or the "KDE vs Gnome" route.

Also you posted first and you mentioned nothing but AGPL

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Basically you're upset at any piece of software you can't integrate.
                      Unfortunately for you, some software creators offer their work for free and in return they ask if you integrate it, you also offer your work for free. Do you think that's unfair?
                      I don't know about fair, but it makes it useless in corporate environments where you as a developer does have the power to decide to offer the core platform service offered as a software as a service for free.

But in my private life, I do like GPL for software, and LGPL for libraries, I also like MIT/X11/ISC/BSD license.

Comment

Working...
                      X