Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHP 7.4 Released With FFI, Typed Properties, Arrow Functions, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.4 Released With FFI, Typed Properties, Arrow Functions, Better Performance

Phoronix: PHP 7.4 Released With FFI, Typed Properties, Arrow Functions, Better Performance

PHP 7.4 is out this US Thanksgiving day as the newest feature release for the PHP scripting language. PHP 7.4 comes with a number of prominent language additions while, yes, also having even better performance on the PHP series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I run a website that uses barely supported imageboard software written in PHP.

I wish PHP never updated because it breaks shit every time :--)

Comment

Typed properties are really nice! 👍

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post
        I run a website that uses barely supported imageboard software written in PHP.

I wish PHP never updated because it breaks shit every time :--)
        I second this. PHP is just bad, there is no excuse for those that keep using it for their software.

Comment

Armchair click click "developers" and their "informed" opinions 🙄

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            I second this. PHP is just bad, there is no excuse for those that keep using it for their software.
            I third this: Negative uninformed opinions of people that prefer other programming languages is just bad and there is no excuse to keep posting them, if you hate the language just use something else like: JS, Python, C/C++, Java, Rust, Go (whatever) and stop complaining. (I admit I have to apply the same principle to my self)

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              I third this: Negative uninformed opinions of people that prefer other programming languages is just bad and there is no excuse to keep posting them, if you hate the language just use something else like: JS, Python, C/C++, Java, Rust, Go (whatever) and stop complaining. (I admit I have to apply the same principle to my self)
              Typical myopical self-centered view of developers. You never realize that who makes your shitty applications actually work in the field is someone else.

I'm a sysadmin, I don't get to choose what crap the clients want to install in the servers, so yes I'm entitled to hate on the language and all its users indiscriminately and whine profusely about it on forums.

Comment

You realise that as a sysadmin, your job is to enable developers to do their stuff and that in no way qualifies you with enough knowledge to critique their choices in languages and tooling, to which they're experts and you are not, right?

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                  You realise that as a sysadmin, your job is to enable developers to do their stuff and that in no way qualifies you with enough knowledge to critique their choices in languages and tooling, to which they're experts and you are not, right?
                  Yeah sure, more developer elitism bullshit. "enable developers to do their stuff" like I'm a fucking janitor.

If something on the server "breaks" (i.e. the service stops or has issues) I'm the first one that is called (me or whoever else is on watch), and I'm also the one responsible to troubleshoot the issue and decide if it is a system/server/network issue or an application issue, and then open a ticket to the software company's tech support.

I'm also responsible of setting up the server to run multiple applications on the same server (as required, sometimes there isn't just 1 backend), and that's always fun when you have 3 different PHP versions because each application blows up if I try to use the same version for all.

And of course I'm the one that has to come, nuke from the orbit and restore the server from backup when the PHP framework vulnerability of the week has let someone in and the server CPU is now 100% and mining Bitcoins or some shit. This is NOT common for Java, Python or C#/.net backends. It can happen, sure, but it's not as obvious or as "normal" as it is with shit like Joomla or Wordpress.

Comment

Isn't the problem poorly written apps? I.e. they have used non standard ways to do stuff? Did PHP really deprecate that much between versions?

Comment

Working...
                    X