Zstd 1.4.4 Released With Faster Compression & Decompression Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd 1.4.4 Released With Faster Compression & Decompression Support

Phoronix: Zstd 1.4.4 Released With Faster Compression & Decompression Support

Facebook has released Zstd 1.4.4 today as the newest implementation of their increasingly used Zstanard compression algorithm...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Zstd 1.4.4 Released With Faster Compression & Decompression Support

Facebook has released Zstd 1.4.4 today as the newest implementation of their increasingly used Zstanard compression algorithm...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...1.4.4-Released

Comment

Very nice! Zstd works really well, I use it now on all my btrfs partitions. I still would like to use it for initramfs too, but I'm not aware about the latest status of the developments.

Comment

I don't know if kilobyte/Adam Borowski posts here or not, but if you do, what are the chances of the kernel's Zstd implementation being updated to 1.3.3 or higher? It isn't a bash/sh/zsh script so it's out of my league

I've been using Zstd on my own kernel images for a few months now without any issues (thank you), but Zstd's --fast settings are better than LZ4 (better compression ratios with faster to equal compression/decompression speeds) making it potentially a better method for compressed ramdisks, zswap/zram, BTRFS/ZFS on-the-fly disk compression, etc which is why I have to ask that question

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          Very nice! Zstd works really well, I use it now on all my btrfs partitions. I still would like to use it for initramfs too, but I'm not aware about the latest status of the developments.
          I've been using it for a few months on Manjaro without any issues whatsoever. Feel free to ask if you want the basic steps to get it all setup and a link to the patch I use to get it running.

EDIT: Fuck it...

For Arch/Manjaro:

open: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

Add zstd to the MODULES line
          (not actually necessary for the kernel image
          but I'm using zstd zram which does need that set)

Code:
          MODULES="crc32c-intel lz4 lz4_compress [B]zstd[/B] xfs"
          scroll down to the bottom of that file to the COMPRESSION options

Add or uncomment:

Code:
          COMPRESSION="zstd"
          and comment whatever you were using

and then update the COMPRESSION_OPTIONS

Code:
          # COMPRESSION_OPTIONS
          # Additional options for the compressor
          COMPRESSION_OPTIONS=(-c -z -q [B]-T16[/B] --fast=10 -)
          Patch the kernel with this patch for Linux 5.2/5.3 and pick the Zstd options when the new kernel config options nag you (I'd have to do a recompile to give step-by-step directions for the final step).

That's it. Update /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, patch the kernel, select the Zstd settings when prompted.

Everything was copy/pasted from my mkinitcpio.conf....and I have a 16 thread system, set that bolded -T16 to either "-T0" (for autodetect) or swap 16 how many threads you actually have.

Note: I haven't tested it with 5.4 yet. If it doesn't patch in cleanly to 5.4 let me know and I'll update it...that's actually my patch and I should get around to updating it based on the latest nobz2-v3 work for 5.2 one of these days...but I'm using the linked one right now with 5.3 so it's all good .

Last edited by skeevy420; 05 November 2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            using it for the initrd since a over year or so even on SPARC64 and PowerPC{,64} without an issue - https://t2sde.org | https://youtube.com/renerebe

Comment

Working...
            X