Zstd 1.4.4 Released With Faster Compression & Decompression Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd 1.4.4 Released With Faster Compression & Decompression Support

Phoronix: Zstd 1.4.4 Released With Faster Compression & Decompression Support

Facebook has released Zstd 1.4.4 today as the newest implementation of their increasingly used Zstanard compression algorithm...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...1.4.4-Released

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Zstd 1.4.4 Released With Faster Compression & Decompression Support

Facebook has released Zstd 1.4.4 today as the newest implementation of their increasingly used Zstanard compression algorithm...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...1.4.4-Released

Comment

Very nice! Zstd works really well, I use it now on all my btrfs partitions. I still would like to use it for initramfs too, but I'm not aware about the latest status of the developments.

Comment

I don't know if kilobyte/Adam Borowski posts here or not, but if you do, what are the chances of the kernel's Zstd implementation being updated to 1.3.3 or higher? It isn't a bash/sh/zsh script so it's out of my league

I've been using Zstd on my own kernel images for a few months now without any issues (thank you), but Zstd's --fast settings are better than LZ4 (better compression ratios with faster to equal compression/decompression speeds) making it potentially a better method for compressed ramdisks, zswap/zram, BTRFS/ZFS on-the-fly disk compression, etc which is why I have to ask that question

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          Very nice! Zstd works really well, I use it now on all my btrfs partitions. I still would like to use it for initramfs too, but I'm not aware about the latest status of the developments.
          I've been using it for a few months on Manjaro without any issues whatsoever. Feel free to ask if you want the basic steps to get it all setup and a link to the patch I use to get it running.

EDIT: Fuck it...

For Arch/Manjaro:

open: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

Add zstd to the MODULES line
          (not actually necessary for the kernel image
          but I'm using zstd zram which does need that set)

Code:
          MODULES="crc32c-intel lz4 lz4_compress zstd xfs"
          scroll down to the bottom of that file to the COMPRESSION options

Add or uncomment:

Code:
          COMPRESSION="zstd"
          and comment whatever you were using

and then update the COMPRESSION_OPTIONS

Code:
          # COMPRESSION_OPTIONS
          # Additional options for the compressor
          COMPRESSION_OPTIONS=(-c -z -q -T16 --fast=10 -)
          Patch the kernel with this patch for Linux 5.2/5.3 and pick the Zstd options when the new kernel config options nag you (I'd have to do a recompile to give step-by-step directions for the final step).

That's it. Update /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, patch the kernel, select the Zstd settings when prompted.

Everything was copy/pasted from my mkinitcpio.conf....and I have a 16 thread system, set that bolded -T16 to either "-T0" (for autodetect) or swap 16 how many threads you actually have.

Note: I haven't tested it with 5.4 yet. If it doesn't patch in cleanly to 5.4 let me know and I'll update it...that's actually my patch and I should get around to updating it based on the latest nobz2-v3 work for 5.2 one of these days...but I'm using the linked one right now with 5.3 so it's all good .

Last edited by skeevy420; 11-05-2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            using it for the initrd since a over year or so even on SPARC64 and PowerPC{,64} without an issue - https://t2sde.org | https://youtube.com/renerebe

Comment

Working...
            X