Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC vs. LLVM Clang Compiler Performance On The AMD Threadripper 2990WX Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    When Gordon worked for Future, (MaximumPC/PC Gamer) he probably wouldn't have let this drop. He was good at getting details on the issues, even when it included Linux. But he had a lot more help and editorial freedom there too.
    I posted this in the original 2990WX benchmark thread earlier: This is not an excuse. I mean if you can't make informed statements about or perform tests on Linux fine, don't do that then. If you want to make an informed statement, do it like Hardware Unboxed who actually installed Linux for the first time and tried their best.

But do not post asinine stuff like the comment about the 7-zip scores. As the Techgage reviewer noted, 7-zip results can be very unstable on Windows (varying between 55K and 85K MIPS between runs), so any single measurement is of questionable validity anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      I posted this in the original 2990WX benchmark thread earlier: This is not an excuse. I mean if you can't make informed statements about or perform tests on Linux fine, don't do that then. If you want to make an informed statement, do it like Hardware Unboxed who actually installed Linux for the first time and tried their best.
      All I got out of it was that he made a premise that there is an inconsistency in WX test results and used Michael's graph as merely an example. To me rather that install Linux himself, he was deferring to those he felt represent Linux better in the benchmark space. In this case he referred to Phoronix.

If anything, it showed to me he reads Phoronix and tipped his hat to Michael's work.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        he was deferring to those he felt represent Linux better in the benchmark space.
        I think it was rather looking for figures which support his argument. What I find particularly notable is that he used this graph from Phoronix:

And this one from techspot:

to conclude that the 7980XE is ahead of the 2990WX in Linux. However, Phoronix tested the 7980XE too and found it to score slightly lower, around 93k points compared to the 2990WX's 94k points on Ubuntu.

Comment

chithanh Yeah, adding to your argument, if you take the best perf of 2990WX on Clear from Phoronix's graph, AMD would be the winner at ~100k points instead of Intel at ~93k

Comment

It would be nice if you could re-do your test Michael with Clang 7.0 that was released a couple of weeks after your benchmarks and try the latest nightly builds of gcc and clang too.

Comment

Working...
            X