X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimko
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

So people should stop developing software that YOU don't need? It might be unfortunate for YOU but people will keep improving compilers and stuff even though YOU don't care :-) They might even use distros and programming language YOU don't like.
    I was referring to majority of users. The way i thought it worked - it would cache components of app when data changes for recompilation. Which I was wrong about. SO take chill pill brah :P

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    So people should stop developing software that YOU don't need?
    Relax.

So, his original comment was a bit dismissive. What's the big deal?

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post

I was specifically referring to Gentoo average user, which is me... I don't reinstall it for half decade easily. Can keep for longer, but hardware updates with incompatible CPU can be problem sometimes, or broken systemd/OpenRC(usual things can go wrong you know,,,)
    So people should stop developing software that YOU don't need? It might be unfortunate for YOU but people will keep improving compilers and stuff even though YOU don't care :-) They might even use distros and programming language YOU don't like.

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied

Not true when the cloud people want reproducible builds of stuff. There are other uses beside desktop/workstation.
    I was specifically referring to Gentoo average user, which is me... I don't reinstall it for half decade easily. Can keep for longer, but hardware updates with incompatible CPU can be problem sometimes, or broken systemd/OpenRC(usual things can go wrong you know,,,)

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied

Which may happen once every 5-7 years or never, since it's 'install once use forever' system.
    Not true when the cloud people want reproducible builds of stuff. There are other uses beside desktop/workstation.

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied

When you do a clean install of Gentoo, this compiler optimization will cut the build time significantly.
    Which may happen once every 5-7 years or never, since it's 'install once use forever' system.

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    the system headers will be used (way) more than once, and those are cached, not in the sense of a file-cache but as ready to use data-structures after parsing. your sentence would be true for ccache, but this is different.
    Oh... OK, thanks for clarification.

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied

Could be the case, but 'aggressive caching' assumes that there is cache. Also it assumes, that I compile something more than once, which is generally not the case. So I fail to see how it will speed things up.
    the system headers will be used (way) more than once, and those are cached, not in the sense of a file-cache but as ready to use data-structures after parsing. your sentence would be true for ccache, but this is different.

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied

When you do a clean install of Gentoo, this compiler optimization will cut the build time significantly.
    Could be the case, but 'aggressive caching' assumes that there is cache. Also it assumes, that I compile something more than once, which is generally not the case. So I fail to see how it will speed things up.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    pch are a pain and I haven't seen them used anywhere outside Visual Studio.
    We used them with GCC > 10 years ago. They were annoying. Much bigger than the .o files, as well (which could mitigate the performance gains, since this was prior to the era of modern SSDs). Tricky to decide exactly what to put in them. You could have only one PCH per source file, and it had to be the first file included.

As I said, I'm not currently using them. Back then, we also had just single-core and a couple dual-core machines.
    Last edited by coder; 18 June 2018, 08:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X