X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discordian
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    unless you are using precompiled headers. though subj does it automatically and caches more stuff
    subj?
    pch are a pain and I haven't seen them used anywhere outside Visual Studio. Would need good build system support to be usable, we are going to have C++ modules (which aren't coming with C++2a) before that.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post

Gentoo, every app compiled once, then installed and forgotten until update comes out.
    When you do a clean install of Gentoo, this compiler optimization will cut the build time significantly.

Leave a comment:

• eva2000
    replied
    But how's performance of resulting compiled binaries compared to GCC 5/6/7/8 ?

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Agreed. I don't really see the problem here. Once the initial compilation on complete, only units dependent on subsequent changes get recompiled anyway.

Unless people are perhaps working with broken build systems, are not forward declaring or using sloppy systems requiring .NET (ubt and Unreal Engine 4).

That said, I have seen some terrible choices made by developers such as for test / debug iterations, simply committing to Git and allowing the build server to build the binary for i.e Android rather than actually getting the damn Android NDK working on their own machine. So frigging lazy.

Good to see the project open-sourced in any case. It means people will actually use it
    True that. So far did not see need to use anything but GCC though,,,

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied
    Originally posted by computerquip View Post

You'll care when compile times take a few hours to get done.
    Nope... Nice -n 20 applied during compile, I can play Dota2 meanwhile

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Um, shouldn't a person in your position care about compile times, not the one that compiles only one application in a year? The changes here mostly affect the frontend, not code generation.
    Gentoo, every app compiled once, then installed and forgotten until update comes out.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    If 5 files depend on the same (changed) header, then all 5 compilation steps will read the file from disk and start parsing it from scratch.
    unless you are using precompiled headers. though subj does it automatically and caches more stuff

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol
    Some concrete numbers for Zapcc on my machine
    i see, you are using unusual definitions for 'recompilation' and 'first-time compilation'
    i guess your test will be improved by ccache even more

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol
    Zapcc provides 3x speedup over GCC when recompiling my project. Initial compilation is slower than GCC 6.4, but this is performed just once per session.
    that is strange. it works not like ccache, but like precompiled headers on steroids, so it should improve initial build time
    on the other hand competent developers do not recompile their projects at all, so speed of recompilation does not matter

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    My only complaint was that it proprietary.
    it was merged with llvm one year ago. and it doesn't look like they want to do it again any time soon
    so you are stuck with obsolete compiler

Leave a comment:

Working...
X