Oracle Reaffirms Supporting Solaris 11 Through Part Of The Next Decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I don't really remember Sun spreading FUD about Linux.. Maybe.. But I think you are confusing them with SCO. Sun gave quite a lot to Linux, Star Office (Libre Office), MySQL, VirtualBox, Java, ZFS, they did a lot of work on Gnome 2 and gave away NFS all for free. If you're looking for Linux enemies.. There was worse then Sun out there. It's nearly impossible to use Linux today without using some software made by Sun.

I really can't think of any other commercial OS vendor that did more for Linux than Sun did..
    SUN paid SCO to sue Linux and IBM.

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post

Indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post

Do you mean when SCO conned Sun into paying them licensing fees for SVR4 or separately from that? I've heard that accusation about Microsoft but not Sun.

Comment

There's also an OpenJDK proposal (JEP 362) to deprecate Solaris and SPARC (including Linux on SPARC) ports.

Comment

Solaris 11.4 have sru13 so far. Per montly basis almost. Without any worries to deploy them!l! Totally opposite to win10 situation. The sru brings very interesting features and hardware support at least on par with Ubuntu.
            Doesn't look very "dying".

Comment

Even more important, I believe they announced continued support for their arcane RDBMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                It seems kids don't remember Sun's behavior. PS. In my childhood there weren't something like LOL.
                Neither in mine. Nobody even understood English here or knew what the hell personal computer is.

So. What was the Sun's behaviour and how was it worse than "Not Invented Here"-LinuxTM does nowadays habitually?

Mind you, Sun contributed shitpot of software, much of it still used, to open source in general, regardless of end-user operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

So. What was the Sun's behaviour and how was it worse than "Not Invented Here"-LinuxTM does nowadays habitually?
                  It's in this thread if you've missed. I'm glad Linux became so strong, so it can destroy its competitors. They were battling it, but they failed. Now it's time for revenge.

Mind you, Sun contributed shitpot of software, much of it still used, to open source in general, regardless of end-user operating systems.
                  Say thank you Linux for this. Sun would never contribute anything, but they were planing to steal Linux' user base. That's why they tried with open source slowlaris.

Comment

It's in this thread if you've missed. I'm glad Linux became so strong, so it can destroy its competitors. They were battling it, but they failed. Now it's time for revenge.
                    Poor boy thought he got bullied in a school by certain nasty individual. Now he has a gun and shooting dead whole class makes for a perfectly justified revenge? Nice attitude you've got there.

Say thank you Linux for this. Sun would never contribute anything, but they were planing to steal Linux' user base. That's why they tried with open source slowlaris.
                    Sun contributed before Linux became wider-used and out of it's little niche.. Meaning FreeBSD 5.X SMP implementation issues - which took few years to properly get sorted out and made many companies meanwhile looking for alternative and they found it in Linux. In the early 2000-s lots of companies and ISP's used neither Linux, Solaris or Unix but BSD. That's the moment Linux started gaining momentum, which got amplified by Sun's economic mismanagement. Just coincidental unluck of it's competitors, not anything like being somehow inherently "better"

Which it is now seemingly gambling off, you'd be surprised how often can one see "Im systemd refugee"-kind of 'asking advice' or introductions in BSD lists/groups/subreddits/forums..

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                      Poor boy thought he got bullied in a school by certain nasty individual. Now he has a gun and shooting dead whole class makes for a perfectly justified revenge? Nice attitude you've got there.
                      You're a master in making poor analogies. It's more like: he was punished, because he wanted to give people freedom. Now he's strong and his oppressors can't harm him anymore and they have to go away. I think some psychologist should take a look at you.

Sun contributed before Linux became wider-used and out of it's little niche.. Meaning FreeBSD 5.X SMP implementation issues - which took few years to properly get sorted out and made many companies meanwhile looking for alternative and they found it in Linux. In the early 2000-s lots of companies and ISP's used neither Linux, Solaris or Unix but BSD. That's the moment Linux started gaining momentum, which got amplified by Sun's economic mismanagement. Just coincidental unluck of it's competitors, not anything like being somehow inherently "better"
                      Thanks for confirming FreeBSD sucked. What contributions did Sun made then?

Which it is now seemingly gambling off, you'd be surprised how often can one see "Im systemd refugee"-kind of 'asking advice' or introductions in BSD lists/groups/subreddits/forums..
                      Yeah, good joke.

Comment

Working...
                      X