No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 Begins Transition To GNOME Shell Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL...ahhh...starshipeleven. Where would we be without your words of ultimate truth? Your pronouncements from on high about what is trolling or not. Kind of like....a troll. LOL !!!

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
      No! Compiz can't die.

You can't beat perfected desktop consistency that Unity7 gives, global menu, dash HUD, unified notification/OSD, audioplayer/IM integration. There's bunch of patches applied to many packages to give consistent look/behavior among apps, it will suck to see this go away once gnome3 arrives.
      With dash-to-dock, separate indicators, and other handy extensions, I can get a pretty similar experience to Unity with Gnome. Plus probably a global menu extension (already in the works). It's not nearly as good, but still similar. Dash-to-dock even brings back the "dodge" intelligent behaviour.

But stupidly enough, I miss wobbly windows the most. I know it's a gadget, but (same as in Windows at work) without it it feels like I'm jerkily moving communist blocks.

Comment

I literally did this yesterday (upgrade to 17.10 from 17.04 by running do-release-upgrade -d) and found out the hard way. Luckily I used Clonezilla to make a complete backup before hand so I was up and running on Unity again shortly after.

It's just not the same. And I say that after running Debian + Gnome for a few years before I fell in love with my Ubuntu setup (actually giving it a shot and getting all the right tweaks, software, etc how I like it). For the time I was on 17.10, I added Dash to Dock right away which was nice. I also liked the browser extension in Chrome to easily install shell extensions. Definitely a polished DE. But after using it for a couple hours I was like "Well, I don't HAVE to use this yet, so I won't." To each their own though and their both fantastic DE's. Won't be giving up my Unity setup for a long time. http://imgur.com/a/8ABFT
        Last edited by perpetually high; 07 June 2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
          I will switch to KDE Neon when 18.04LTS is out.
          Only due to Ubuntu switching to GNOME I was giving it another try and with Plasma 5.10 its freaking awesome.

Do you want Unity? Go for it! Nothing more easy than make KDE look and behave like that.
          No need for compiz that is practically dead due to lack of wayland support.
          I've been using KDE (Manjaro) since those ungrateful news Canonical delivered in April. I really liked Unity and was testing and waiting for Mir/Unity 8. I had Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 4. Then I got too mad/sad/distrusted with them and decided to use something else right away.

I tried to use KDE a few times before, but it always felt too bloated. Now, the moment I installed I liked it. It's stable, lot's of tools and ways to tweak it and more. Maybe it's also the distro, Manjaro. I use Gnome 3 for work/school projects and I don't like it. I Use XFCE on an old laptop with Arch, works perfectly, but for my desktop I wanted something..."more". Well, I've been happy since the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            With dash-to-dock, separate indicators, and other handy extensions, I can get a pretty similar experience to Unity with Gnome. Plus probably a global menu extension (already in the works). It's not nearly as good, but still similar. Dash-to-dock even brings back the "dodge" intelligent behaviour.

But stupidly enough, I miss wobbly windows the most. I know it's a gadget, but (same as in Windows at work) without it it feels like I'm jerkily moving communist blocks.
            Gnome moved wobbly windows to extensions if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Do Distros typically contribute to upstream development? With Ubuntu and Intel both switching to Gnome, this could have positive effects on Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                LOL...ahhh...Jumbotron. Where would we be without your baseless claims of ultimate truth? Your pronouncements from on high about what is standard Linux desktop or not. Kind of like....a troll. LOL !!!
                Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  I literally did this yesterday (upgrade to 17.10 from 17.04 by running do-release-upgrade -d) and found out the hard way. Luckily I used Clonezilla to make a complete backup before hand so I was up and running on Unity again shortly after.

It's just not the same. And I say that after running Debian + Gnome for a few years before I fell in love with my Ubuntu setup (actually giving it a shot and getting all the right tweaks, software, etc how I like it). For the time I was on 17.10, I added Dash to Dock right away which was nice. I also liked the browser extension in Chrome to easily install shell extensions. Definitely a polished DE. But after using it for a couple hours I was like "Well, I don't HAVE to use this yet, so I won't." To each their own though and their both fantastic DE's. Won't be giving up my Unity setup for a long time. http://imgur.com/a/8ABFT
                  Hm, you seem to be making Unity quite a bit like KDE...

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
                    Sigh, I was only 1 or 2 more years from learning to love Unity! LOL Seriously, Gnome is cool but I have really found MATE to be all I need. Why do I think Ubuntu finally caved in and woke up to people hating Unity? Maybe several years of Linux Mint beating them on Distrowatch. You can't shove garbage down people's throats.
                    Distrowatch numbers mean nothing lol. I wish people would get that already.

Comment

gnome-session-flasback is one of most solid and simplest desktop that works and is fast and easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X