No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 Begins Transition To GNOME Shell Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unity is still my choice, however I would want to move the launcher behind windows and to the right side.

Comment

I hope all these Ubuntu patches to Gnome vanish. They've made Gnome on Ubuntu unstable for years.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        No! Compiz can't die.

You can't beat perfected desktop consistency that Unity7 gives, global menu, dash HUD, unified notification/OSD, audioplayer/IM integration. There's bunch of patches applied to many packages to give consistent look/behavior among apps, it will suck to see this go away once gnome3 arrives.
        if you still want compiz, use Gnome-Mate

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
          What's dash to dock? I haven't seen that in my xfce.
          read here https://micheleg.github.io/dash-to-dock/

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            No! Compiz can't die.

You can't beat perfected desktop consistency that Unity7 gives, global menu, dash HUD, unified notification/OSD, audioplayer/IM integration. There's bunch of patches applied to many packages to give consistent look/behavior among apps, it will suck to see this go away once gnome3 arrives.
            If Compiz is your only problem, you can use gnome-session-flashback, it have default compiz and metacity sessions, it is simple DE, but it have same applications as Unity7 had. Or any other DE others already suggested. Compiz is fine, but for classic animations clutter is much better (as it is in mutter and all mutter based WM's = gala, deepin-wm, muffin etc.).

I've personally used gnome-session-flashback with gala wm for quite a while before going to Gnome-Shell.

Comment

years making a great DE and now they back to this garbage unusable thing! I hope they at least put extensions and improves extensions or bye bye ubuntu

Comment

I will switch to KDE Neon when 18.04LTS is out.
                Only due to Ubuntu switching to GNOME I was giving it another try and with Plasma 5.10 its freaking awesome.

Do you want Unity? Go for it! Nothing more easy than make KDE look and behave like that.
                No need for compiz that is practically dead due to lack of wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  Besides...if GNOME is not to your taste you have a plethora of other equally good DE's to choose. That's what makes Linux and Open Source great.
                  Fixed, now with less trolling.

Comment

I think they should also change the gnome-shell panel theme. It looks a little weird in combination with the Ubuntu Ambiance theme.

Comment

I want everybidy else like cinnamon team, mate team, xfce team to work on gnome and kde so that we have lesser DE of great quality rather than having verieties of junk.

Comment

Working...
                      X