Enlightenment's EFL Continues Dominating In The Embedded Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Also obligatory to mention that devs debunked the bullshit in the article.
    also obligatory mention that the dev claimed some bullshit too while debunking (like that the "BITCH!" error message never existed, until someone posted a link to the commit where it was removed by him in very recent times), and quite a few things claimed to debunk the article aren't stated in the docs.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
      Obligatory : https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

Besides, I think that Qt pretty much is king in terms of market share for embedded UI toolkits.
      Expecting rasterman to defend his crappy GUI toolkit in 3..2...1..

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

Also obligatory to mention that devs debunked the bullshit in the article.

And something about Qt from someone at jolla. > http://www.joona.net/?p=693
        No they didn't. You apparently read the other side of the comments. For instance the OP claimed that the EFL code had the words 'bitch', 'spank' etc. in the source. The lead dev silently replaced the bitch with something more appropriate, then lied to them that there never was such an issue. The central data type was previously void* in the Tizen 2.2 version of EFL. They changed it to a single struct and claimed that that would make it type safe now that it has a single static type instead. Unfortunately not using void* does not make it type safe. Please educate yourself with algebraic data types and the expression problem. It's a bit hard to understand the value of the criticism if you're not that versed with programming languages and stuff. There's also a link later in the comments that shows some heavy NIH C++ data type serialization emulation which is totally silly as they could have just used C++ instead. Nowadays they also use EFL in smart devices with quad cores and 1-4 GB of RAM (even smart watches have quad cores and 1 GB) so the 'advantages' of EFL are pretty dubious.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
          Obligatory : https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

Besides, I think that Qt pretty much is king in terms of market share for embedded UI toolkits.

I wouldn't believe that article 100%. Every product has its audience and so does E17.

I like its minimal approach and dislike Qt. Qt is widespread but so is McDonald's, so what.

I like that it's small and that I can find my way through sources and change literally anything I want.

It has its quirks and flaws, but as long as I can live with them, I can enjoy the benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

No they didn't. You apparently read the other side of the comments. For instance the OP claimed that the EFL code had the words 'bitch', 'spank' etc. in the source. The lead dev silently replaced the bitch with something more appropriate, then lied to them that there never was such an issue. T
            Wow. I didn't know that. Well, hidden bitch in some obscure debug comment is definitely dealbreaker for me. ;o)))

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

Wow. I didn't know that. Well, hidden bitch in some obscure debug comment is definitely dealbreaker for me. ;o)))

Is your name Mathew Garret

Comment

this is the source of the error-message-generating code
                Code:
                eina_log_print(EINA_LOG_DOMAIN_GLOBAL, EINA_LOG_LEVEL_CRITICAL, file, fnc, line,
                "*** Eina Magic Check Failed at %p !!!\n"
                " Input handle has already been freed!\n"
                "*** NAUGHTY PROGRAMMER!!!\n"
                "*** SPANK SPANK SPANK!!!\n"
                "*** Now go fix your code. Tut tut tut!\n"
                "\n", d);
                ANd this is the message for the BITCH! -> COMPLAIN! thing https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/1...nlightened/256
                Code:
                 - ERR("BITCH! evas_object_stack_above(), %p not inside same smart as %p!", eo_obj, eo_above);
                  + ERR("COMPLAIN! evas_object_stack_above(), %p not inside same smart as %p!", eo_obj, eo_above);
                If you don't think it's bad to have errors like that, you're an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

ANd this is the message for the BITCH! -> COMPLAIN! thing https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/1...nlightened/256
                  Code:
                   - ERR("BITCH! evas_object_stack_above(), %p not inside same smart as %p!", eo_obj, eo_above);
                  + ERR("COMPLAIN! evas_object_stack_above(), %p not inside same smart as %p!", eo_obj, eo_above);
                  If you don't think it's bad to have errors like that, you're an idiot.
                  Idiot trumps bitch every time, eh ?

Comment

...dev claimed some bullshit too while debunking (like that the "BITCH!" error message never existed
                    wrong. the original claimed "you bitch" which i grep -r'd for and it was not there. it was actually all caps with no you at all. why don't you read the read a bit further than a cursory scan? you will see i say we totally forgot about it and it was not intended that way etc. . every time efl is mentioned you love to troll with this. you invent new facts that are utterly untrue. read on if you could bother. i FOUND the thing later on by trying alternate permutations. the original post was not very accurate as in it quoted an interpretation even though it put it in quotes. if you do something other than make broad sweeping comments you'll see i was CLEAR i said "you bitch" does not exist - i clearly quoted how i was looking for it as indicated but you happily like to change facts to fit your narrative. i literally put in the grep lines with results. i actually said i found it later (a few hours) and more comments had been made since. kernel code has swearing it it. yet no one goes getting their knickers in a knot. bitch is pretty tame and i explained the intended interpretation of bitch == complain, but i did say i can see the alternate view. depending where you are from it may be actually pretty regular day to day stuff. i'm not getting back into that - it's in that thread if you bother to follow/read it and not selectively quote or rememebr the bits you wish to to fit your narrative.

but my guess is you won't just to continue with a troll. if people have just started to personally insult you (the redtube stuff) then you aren't going to make the biggest efforts in trying to fix their comments and figure out how they may have messed up their post when a grep doesn't find what they claimed was there.

what is wrong with you that you feel the need to troll with half-truths at best and what is mostly just fabrication or ineptitude of not reading event basic documentation.

things claimed to debunk the article aren't stated in the docs
                    show me one. links were provided and were current at the time (the docs have moved around since) nowhere were these links and their content not provided at the time and you can still find the relevant docs today under different url's. but since you have an agenda you will just not bother and make claims you can't back up.

look if you didn't troll whenever possible and actually backed up what you say with objective proof other than just trolling - fair enough. what happend in your life that you feel the need to troll and spread FUD? what did we do to you? what did anyone do to you? if you were spreading actual factual, useful and even current information (i mean that post does things like claim we typedefed everything to void * - umm yeah right. or edje_cc always fails without a non-zero exit code - again debunked... i can go on). what happened to you that you should be such a bitter person who trolls like this?

Comment

I wouldn't believe that article 100%. Every product has its audience and so does E17.

I like its minimal approach and dislike Qt. Qt is widespread but so is McDonald's, so what.

I like that it's small and that I can find my way through sources and change literally anything I want.

It has its quirks and flaws, but as long as I can live with them, I can enjoy the benefits.

the article had about 10% truth, the rest was not, and even then that 10% was "oops we missed some bad language" which we just don't see as that error path was just never hit in any code we had. a nice think might be to file a bug and we'd notice and remove. but to go on a tirade 90% troll-substance is just obscene.

Comment

Working...
                      X