No announcement yet.

KDE Connect 1.0 Released For Device/Phone Communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<chuckle>.....it's so cute when you show your butthurt. Sorry....though....facts are facts. The only carrier grade Linux distro ( ie, Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu ) that has KDE as default is Suse. But they still give you the option of installing GNOME/GTK. The vast majority of non carrier grade distros ( that is distros that don't have real corporate support ) have either GNOME as default or GNOME/GTK derivatives such as Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, etc. As for Ubuntu, even Unity is simply a shell on top of GNOME.

Every benchmark done for KDE 3, KDE 4, KDE 5 over the years show a slower, more bloated desktop environment than a comparable GNOME/GTK environment. KDE's groupware/PIM has never been stable like a Thunderbird or even Evolution. Every review of KDE for the last decade has been to NOT install on older or lower resource computers.

Has KDE fixed its multi monitor support yet ? What about HIDIPI ? Why are they pushing the tag "LTS" for Plasma's next release ? In fact....Suse even asked KDE to change their release schedule just so Suse could get the next version of Plasma in for Suse's next release so as to market it as having an "LTS" UI/UX. Even KDE knows they have developed a well deserved reputation.

Sorry, son. KDE is trying. They're getting "better". But they have a LONG way to go. And if history is to be any guide....it's not very hopeful.

Comment

Oh....almost forgot. Even PC-BSD is going away from KDE by default. Yeah....obviously....a lot has to do with the BSD's shifting away from the GPL and from other more Linuxy stuff like systemd. But if you look at their new desktop Lumina and its dependencies and look at KDE's......LOL !!!

As the folks over at Lumina say:

"It has been written from scratch in C++/Qt5 and is not based on any existing desktop's code-base. It also does not use any of the Linux-based desktop frameworks (ConsoleKit, PolicyKit, D-Bus, systemd, etc..), instead using a simple built-in interface layer for communicating directly with the operating system. This allows it to obtain system information in a fast and efficient manner while ensuring desktop stability and reliability."

"The Lumina desktop environment is not an application development toolkit/framework - it is only a system interface. If you wish to reduce the number of additional dependencies for your application on a Lumina system, simply write it using the Qt5 graphical toolkit and not the KDE-based variant/offshoot of Qt."

That about says it all. KDE....so many dependencies that it's the only Desktop environment that I know that needs therapy. LOL !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        <chuckle>.....it's so cute when you show your butthurt. Sorry....though....facts are facts. The only carrier grade Linux distro ( ie, Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu ) that has GNOME as default is RHEL.
        But they still give you the option of installing KDE. The vast majority of non carrier grade distros ( that is distros that don't have real corporate support ) have either KDE as default or GNOME/GTK derivatives such as Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, etc. As for Ubuntu, even Unity is simply a shell on top of GNOME.

Every benchmark done for GNOME 3.xx, GNOME 3.xy, GNOME 3.yy over the years show a slower, more bloated desktop environment than a comparable KDE environment. GNOME's groupware/PIM has never been stable like a Thunderbird. Every review of GNOME for the last decade has been to NOT install on older or lower resource computers.

Has GNOME fixed its multi monitor support yet ? What about fixing the lockscreen crash issue ? Why are they claiming that they want to stabilize next release whenever they find a completely nonsense version they like? In fact....Suse even asked KDE to change their release schedule just so Suse could get the next version of Plasma in for Suse's next release so as to market it as having an "LTS" UI/UX. Even KDE knows GNOME have developed a well deserved reputation.

Sorry, son. GNOME is trying. They're getting "better". But they have a LONG way to go. And if history is to be any guide....it's not very hopeful.
        fixed.
        Now go post 0-content generic trolls somewhere else plz.

Comment

on the other side LXQt uses KDE Technologie because framework5 is awesome and when you have 100MiB dependency for kde-connect you really should leave your ubuntu and join Manjaro or something

Comment

As is typical with KDE, you have a 1001 dependencies and it won't be stable for 5 years or more. And by then they'll have to move to another Framework version when QT upgrades and we'll have to wait for QT to get stable and yada....yada....yada........

No....as a GNOME or any other user....you have NOTHING to be jealous of.
            I'm a KDE's huge fan and user... but still have to agree with you, but not totally... I feel that this is exaggerated. Not to mention that this happened to GNOME as well during its transition to the knew UI concept and GTK3

Comment

I love KDE Connect. I can even use it to transfer files between my Android devices. For some reason it refuses to find devices that don't have a static IP. Other than that I like it very much.

Comment

Oh....almost forgot. Even PC-BSD cannot use GNOME by default. Yeah....obviously....a lot has to do with the BSD's shifting away from the GPL and from other more Linuxy stuff like systemd. But if you look at their new desktop Lumina and its dependencies and look at GNOME's......LOL !!!

As the folks over at Lumina say:

"It has been written from scratch in C++/Qt5 and is not based on any existing desktop's code-base. It also does not use any of the Linux-based desktop frameworks GNOME relies on (ConsoleKit, PolicyKit, D-Bus, systemd, etc..), instead using a simple built-in interface layer for communicating directly with the operating system. This allows it to obtain system information in a fast and efficient manner while ensuring desktop stability and reliability."

That about says it all. GNOME....so many dependencies that it's the only Desktop environment that I know that needs therapy. LOL !!
                fixed.

you sure love posting 0-content generic trollposts.

Comment

Ironic isnt it that Linux desktop environment such as KDE supports communication with Android, Blackberry and iOS in the future, yet not with Linux phones such as SailfishOS and Ubuntu Touch.

Comment

<chuckle>.....it's so cute when you show your butthurt. Sorry....though....facts are facts. The only carrier grade Linux distro ( ie, Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu ) that has KDE as default is Suse. But they still give you the option of installing GNOME/GTK. The vast majority of non carrier grade distros ( that is distros that don't have real corporate support ) have either GNOME as default or GNOME/GTK derivatives such as Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, etc. As for Ubuntu, even Unity is simply a shell on top of GNOME.

Every benchmark done for KDE 3, KDE 4, KDE 5 over the years show a slower, more bloated desktop environment than a comparable GNOME/GTK environment. KDE's groupware/PIM has never been stable like a Thunderbird or even Evolution. Every review of KDE for the last decade has been to NOT install on older or lower resource computers.

Has KDE fixed its multi monitor support yet ? What about HIDIPI ? Why are they pushing the tag "LTS" for Plasma's next release ? In fact....Suse even asked KDE to change their release schedule just so Suse could get the next version of Plasma in for Suse's next release so as to market it as having an "LTS" UI/UX. Even KDE knows they have developed a well deserved reputation.

Sorry, son. KDE is trying. They're getting "better". But they have a LONG way to go. And if history is to be any guide....it's not very hopeful.
                    You're really cherry-picking your 'information'. For example, you're ignoring the fact that "carrier grade" Ubuntu ditched Gnome for Unity, and started using Qt/KDE technology in developing Unity shortly afterwards, and is now holding back versions of Gnome software because they aren't functional enough. The counter to that is that there's 'Ubuntu Gnome' now, but at the same time Ubuntu joined KDE as a Patron with the message that they have increasing interests in KDE technology. Saying who does what is really meaningless and you could go all day making arguments with no real bearing on how 'good' or 'bad' desktop environments are.

Really, in the long run, Gnome/GTK and Plasma/KDE/Qt are good for one-another because they push the competition. Gnome is doing very well with their applications UI and making a clean experience with a touch of class, but they have lost their impact outside of their own ecosystem. I think KDE developers have made amazing tools and Plasma 5 has become a real standout, but there's a real problem with legacy baggage and it's hurt the overall experience. Both have pros and cons.

I could rattle off areas where Gnome has fallen behind, but that doesn't make Gnome worse than Plasma. Is Gnome in any way approaching mobile or used for app development? Can you customise Gnome anywhere as much as Plasma out-of-box? Will Gnome really ever stop breaking their API causing mass app/theme breakage? Doesn't matter! It just means they're different systems with different strengths and weaknesses aiming at different goals.

Frankly, it's a fact that we can all install a mix of both software end enjoy applications from both camps. There's no reason to dogmatic to one or the other; use what works. I use Plasma on my workstations because Gnome makes doing serious work very difficult, Plasma enables me to determine my optimal workflow... But I use Gnome on HTPCs because it is that simple and does get out of the way when I want a simple machine to do a task.

So, just give up on the whole "Party X is butthurt" idiocy, KDE Connect is genuinely amazing and does something unique to Plasma/KDE; it doesn't make whatever use use bad, it just means what you use is different.

Comment

SMS reply... Now, I'm going to use my laptop all the time. Or maybe I'll install a VM on my desktop! :')

Comment

Working...
                      X