Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Reveals The Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Tablet

Phoronix: Canonical Reveals The Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Tablet

As anticipated, the first official Ubuntu Tablet done in cooperation with Canonical is Bq's Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Aquaris-Tablet

Finally a converged device, and I like the announcement of more devices coming, Android version costs 259.90 EUR plus shipping, it is not too expensive for a tablet like that, I want to buy converged phone, but I will buy this if I get enough money to spare. Congratulations to Canonical.

Comment

If it is being touted as a convergence device it's a bit disappointing that the device only has 2GB of RAM. I would have liked to see the device come with 4GB RAM standard or at least had it as an option.

Comment

The Meizu Pro 5 which is rumored to be doing an Ubuntu edition is much better specs. That Exynos 7420 seems like it is a 14nm beast of a cpu and the Mali octo core gpu with 3 to 4 GB of ram so expected this to be pretty amazing. Maybe it will have a great price but I am going to wait at this point.

Comment

Not to be terribly pessimistic.... I'm hoping for at least some success... but gut says no.... hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
            If it is being touted as a convergence device it's a bit disappointing that the device only has 2GB of RAM. I would have liked to see the device come with 4GB RAM standard or at least had it as an option.
            It probably works decently with 2 GB RAM, just like a desktop with 2 GB RAM can perform well, I dont think anyone expects to run Blender on a converged device, this is only the first device to break the ice, if the concept draws attention I am sure there will be more powerful phones and tablets coming in the future.

Comment

Every bit of me as a consumer is saying "meh". But at the same time, as a tinkerer, I'm extremely curious to find out if it ends up being capable of running X11 and some other desktop environment like XFCE. Then it could end up being a pretty fun device to work and play with.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Every bit of me as a consumer is saying "meh". But at the same time, as a tinkerer, I'm extremely curious to find out if it ends up being capable of running X11 and some other desktop environment like XFCE. Then it could end up being a pretty fun device to work and play with.
                You will probably be able to install other desktop environments, but I doubt convergence will work much with them as everything is developed to integrate with Unity 8, but I may be wrong and it can work or some parts will work. It is an ARM device, running X applications on ARM processor requires XMir, does X11 work at all on ARM?

Comment

This is suggesting that Unity 8 is more memory efficient than Unity 7 (and Android?).

Comment

Originally posted by imperfectlink View Post
                    This is suggesting that Unity 8 is more memory efficient than Unity 7 (and Android?).
                    X applications can be heavy regardless of how much Unity 8 uses, but I doubt anyone expects to run 10 X applications at once on a mobile device. Same restrictions probably apply as with desktops that have 2 GB RAM, dont overdo it. I saw a demo of several X applications plus mobile applications on a desktop with 2 GB RAM, it worked fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X