It May Soon Be Possible To Build A Do-It-Yourself 64-Bit ARM Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It May Soon Be Possible To Build A Do-It-Yourself 64-Bit ARM Laptop

Phoronix: It May Soon Be Possible To Build A Do-It-Yourself 64-Bit ARM Laptop

Olimex Ltd is hoping to make it possible to sell a Do-It-Yourself laptop powered by a 64-bit ARM SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Allwinner... Somewhere I already read that name. Maybe it was something regarding GPL violations?

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
      Allwinner... Somewhere I already read that name. Maybe it was something regarding GPL violations?
      And Mali GPUs without SW support.

Comment

I think 5 bucks just goes to prove slave labor in China.

Comment

A 64-bit Novena with less eccentric form factor and hardware. Can't be bad.

Also, that Super key with the Windows logo...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I think 5 bucks just goes to prove slave labor in China.
            I partly agree with you, but I think especially CPU manifacturing is done mostly with robots ( due to precision, and clean room environment ), and Olimex buy in thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              I partly agree with you, but I think especially CPU manifacturing is done mostly with robots ( due to precision, and clean room environment ), and Olimex buy in thousands.
              just read about Foxconn and what cost to chinese ppl to produce stupid iSomething ....

Comment

i want something similar but with ability to customize with amd's new processors, SSDs and at least 16Gigs of ram still being on a budget

Comment

From the comment section in their (ugly) blog:
                  ?I guess it would be eventually usable without blobs, except 3D acceleration. I mean 2D would likely work, mainline kernel already supports ?simple framebuffer? thing for most allwinners?

Wow?

Comment

I hope Linus Torvalds is right and it's going to be the year of ARM Laptops.
                    Dream 2016 Laptop:
                    • AArch64/ARMv8 SoC: Server-Class 24-48 Cores or based on Tegra X1 or some Qualcomm chip
                    • 16GB ECC LPDDR4
                    • NVMe SSD (slideshare)
                    • (Dell) 4k Touch InfinityEdge Display (able to pack ~17" screen in a typical 15" sized notebook)
                    • Keyboard with NumPad and TrackPoint
                    • Running coreboot + mainline kernel
                    • (personally: Plasma/KWin on Wayland)

Anyone else interested in something like this?

Comment

Working...
                    X