It May Soon Be Possible To Build A Do-It-Yourself 64-Bit ARM Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It May Soon Be Possible To Build A Do-It-Yourself 64-Bit ARM Laptop

Phoronix: It May Soon Be Possible To Build A Do-It-Yourself 64-Bit ARM Laptop

Olimex Ltd is hoping to make it possible to sell a Do-It-Yourself laptop powered by a 64-bit ARM SoC...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ner-BYO-Laptop

Allwinner... Somewhere I already read that name. Maybe it was something regarding GPL violations?

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
      Allwinner... Somewhere I already read that name. Maybe it was something regarding GPL violations?
      And Mali GPUs without SW support.

Comment

I think 5 bucks just goes to prove slave labor in China.

Comment

A 64-bit Novena with less eccentric form factor and hardware. Can't be bad.

Also, that Super key with the Windows logo...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I think 5 bucks just goes to prove slave labor in China.
            I partly agree with you, but I think especially CPU manifacturing is done mostly with robots ( due to precision, and clean room environment ), and Olimex buy in thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              I partly agree with you, but I think especially CPU manifacturing is done mostly with robots ( due to precision, and clean room environment ), and Olimex buy in thousands.
              just read about Foxconn and what cost to chinese ppl to produce stupid iSomething ....

Comment

i want something similar but with ability to customize with amd's new processors, SSDs and at least 16Gigs of ram still being on a budget

Comment

From the comment section in their (ugly) blog:
                  ?I guess it would be eventually usable without blobs, except 3D acceleration. I mean 2D would likely work, mainline kernel already supports ?simple framebuffer? thing for most allwinners?

Wow?

Comment

I hope Linus Torvalds is right and it's going to be the year of ARM Laptops.
                    Dream 2016 Laptop:
                    • AArch64/ARMv8 SoC: Server-Class 24-48 Cores or based on Tegra X1 or some Qualcomm chip
                    • 16GB ECC LPDDR4
                    • NVMe SSD (slideshare)
                    • (Dell) 4k Touch InfinityEdge Display (able to pack ~17" screen in a typical 15" sized notebook)
                    • Keyboard with NumPad and TrackPoint
                    • Running coreboot + mainline kernel
                    • (personally: Plasma/KWin on Wayland)

Anyone else interested in something like this?

Comment

Working...
                    X