Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 MacBook Air Isn't Trouble-Free On Linux

Phoronix: 2012 MacBook Air Isn't Trouble-Free On Linux

While lately I've been busy with trying out the Retina MacBook Pro under Linux, which has been a big problem and I'm not recommending the rMBP for Linux users at this time (more details soon), it looks like the new MacBook Air might also have some Linux woes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kinda weird that the expensive mac book air has a lower resolution than the ipad...

...which costs about half the price.
    For the price of the mac book air, you'd expect something better.

Comment

so whats the point of this article, the headline sounds a bit like linux devs did not made their work, but the point is if apple or sony hardware dont work under linux, apple and sony sucks. Yes you did not say linux or linux devs did suck but just to be sure lets say apple and sony sucks, dont buy hardware of them or complain by them not on kernel mailing lists or something like that.

Comment

Its always going to be like that unless someone decides to start a hi-end linux HW company. Problems are fixed after the product reaches the market and the hands of people skillful enough to solve them.

Companies like Sony, Apple etc don't care about linux on their laptops.

Comment

I just had a chance to borrow the latest "high-spec" macbook air the other day...

And I must say the Asus UX32VD-R4002V (i7, 1080p display) with replaced ssd + extra memory costs 2/3 of the price just gives you much more value for money.

While its not as slim (really we're talking about minor differences here..), it does have dedicated graphics and the real keyboard to its advantage.

Comment

so where is the problem, the point is that we have to support or better we have to support together with one company together one company... so all linuxer buys this laptops... and then fuck apple fuck sony... linux gets more market share year after year, it could work faster but nobody thinks that linux is in 20 years at only 5% market share on the desktop like totday so if this companys think they can forget about this 30-70% market share of linux in 20 years, let them go they will crawl back or stop selling notebooks because they sell to less....

Comment

Originally posted by 3diStan View Post
              ...which costs about half the price.
              For the price of the mac book air, you'd expect something better.

Yeah, like more ram, more storage, a keyboard, and the ability to run a multitasking desktop OS. Oh, wait.....

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                so whats the point of this article, the headline sounds a bit like linux devs did not made their work, but the point is if apple or sony hardware dont work under linux, apple and sony sucks. Yes you did not say linux or linux devs did suck but just to be sure lets say apple and sony sucks, dont buy hardware of them or complain by them not on kernel mailing lists or something like that.
                Why are we blaming Apple and Sony for the kernel's inability to deal with mobile implementations of Ivy bridge? Why are we even placing blame to begin with. Install linux (or try), file bugs, fix bugs, linux works. This is our SDLC. It seems like every time an OEM/HAR/VAR releases a new product, people bitch and moan as if they have committed some great injustice.

Everyone stop B&M. We have cool new tech to play with. This is exciting. This is fun.

F

Comment

me@MacBookAir:~$ uname -a
                  Linux MacBookAir 3.2.0-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 21 16:52:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                  me@MacBookAir:~$

Some trackpad guesters and slightly less battery life are about the only issues you adjust to when running linux on an MBA.

for me, the improved os env benefits out weigh the issues listed above

ubutu 12.04 on MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011)
                  Last edited by mr_manny; 11 August 2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    Why are we blaming Apple and Sony for the kernel's inability to deal with mobile implementations of Ivy bridge? Why are we even placing blame to begin with. Install linux (or try), file bugs, fix bugs, linux works. This is our SDLC. It seems like every time an OEM/HAR/VAR releases a new product, people bitch and moan as if they have committed some great injustice.

F
                    because its the same when we would talk here about windows, if sony would sell a notebook lets say with no os or with windows installed, and the windows drivers that are needed would not be working would we blame microsoft? No we would blame Sony, so why the hell should we do it differently in Linux? Its even easier to get good support in Linux for developers, because you cannot only write drivers you could improve or write own subsystems if you like and if you produce not total bullshit it will get integrated into linux.

Its that easy... so if the manufactorers dont support linux, there is no way the community could create a really good driver for it. At least for stuff thats more complex lets say a grafics driver. But ok the problems here could be more easily fixed I guess, but again when the companies do not the work it will take longer, so blame them shame them...

I will not hear somebody bitching about how bad linux is like I do all the time, when in 99% of the time hardware-developers are the problem-generators...

And then this Title if it would be only about sony ( I cant stand that company not too...) but apple? what the hell, they even produced explizitly pc-and-linux-incompatible computers so that nobody could install windows or linux, they even suid people who tried to sell their hardware. So they are big enemys of freedom, they patent each nose booger so that nobody can build tablets at all and stuff... they are even worse than microsoft and thats hard to do... so if linux dont work on machines from this company I think thats a linux-feature.

Comment

Working...
                    X