AMD Ports Open-Source Linux Driver To Windows Embedded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    I'm not really sure what you mean about releasing the source code. You mean releasing to the public or you mean distributing the driver to the OEM's in source code form? If it is the first one, it would be nice from your part
    The licensing is being worked out now so I can't be more specific yet -- but we're trying to keep all the non-MS bits X11 licensed if we can.
    Last edited by bridgman; 10-16-2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Bridgeman, thank you for taking the time to fill us in with your inside information. I think I speak for many people when I ask if you can let us know, when it's ok for the public to know of course, whether gallium, mesa, or any other linux graphics components will be used?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        The licensing is being worked out now so I can't be more specific yet -- but we're trying to keep all the non-MS bits X11 licensed if we can.
        Cheers for that!

I really hope you're not joking, though, because that wouldn't be a really bad joke...

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
          Thoughts:

Reasons to use the Radeon driver for embedded windows.

1: No need to pay per-unit licensing on catalyst (cheaper for AMD)
          2: No need to port catalyst to additional architectures
          3: Much like #2, OSS driver is easier to port to 'funky' devices. An example of this would be a device with a non-rectangular display.
          4: OEM access to source enables OEM contribution and rapid prototyping.
          5: Less paperwork.
          3:"non rectangular display?!?!?!?!?!!?" OMG OMG???? IS DUNDER MIFFLIN releasing THE PYRAMID with AMD HW??? and WINDOWS??? WOW!!! i didnt saw that one coming http://mashable.com/2011/09/30/dunder-mifflin-tablet/ (couldnt resist) :P

Comment

Originally posted by groo_pcd View Post
            3:"non rectangular display?!?!?!?!?!!?" OMG OMG???? IS DUNDER MIFFLIN releasing THE PYRAMID with AMD HW??? and WINDOWS??? WOW!!! i didnt saw that one coming http://mashable.com/2011/09/30/dunder-mifflin-tablet/ (couldnt resist) :P
            The Pyramid has 50L of memory; that's enough to use the proprietary drivers.

Comment

So since this means gallium3d will finally be running on another OS will any of those bits get released? and not just the core changes? I suspect it would be nice for developers of other operating systems to have an example implementation of a port to a OS besides Linux since that isn't a port at all.

There is the AROS port of the nouveou but AROS isn't like most operating systems as its mostly stuck in the past as far as design (no protected memory etc...)

Comment

AFAIK all the code will be available in source form, but only the files which do not include MS-supplied code/headers will be covered by the X11 license. Anything coming from open source or authored by AMD should go out in open source form as well. That's the plan anyways.
                Last edited by bridgman; 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I like that plan.

The way I understand it, so far the focus seems to be on a basic driver providing modesetting and simple acceleration, with work going into video acceleration and computation (Christian and Tom, IIUC). These are cool things that the Linux driver is missing, so I like that too.

Is OpenGL and 3d performance going to be a factor for this driver at all, and how much do you think that this will impact the Linux drivers?

Comment

Windows on medical hardware is rebooted every hour or so (regulations) and ofcourse tested for a long time like any other OS. Believe me, this on Windows Embedded, is absolutely no problem. It's not as if you run Windows 98 with consumer feature-rush driver stuff. If it passes medical testing; it works. Period.

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                    There is the AROS port of the nouveou but AROS isn't like most operating systems as its mostly stuck in the past as far as design (no protected memory etc...)
                    Well that's kind of a fun thing. You see AmigaOS 4.1 has that support, but disabled. The upcomming AmigaOS (2012 netbook) is, according to the kernel dev, highly likely going to feature memory protection and paging, or its update will. This is a high priority project and therefore likely to see its way into AROS.

AROS is also not AmigaOS; it's just API compatible and binary compatible on 68000 with Wine-like emulation and recompiling of older source code. That is not to say that it doesn't have the ability to have memory protection.

I realy dug into this and was highly dissapointed that they didn't took the time to also include Radeon GPU's, especialy because AmigaOne has Radeon GPU support.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      Wasn't the original plan for AMD to provide the docs and for the community to write the driver?

I wonder if taking the code written by the community, port it to windows embedded and add some proprietary sauce to it was also part of the original plan. So maybe AMD sees Linux community as a form of cheap labor?

Of course that plan didn't work out very well. For some reason there aren't many people in the Linux community lining up to contribute to the graphics stack. I wonder if the license of the graphics stack has something to do with that
                      The 2007 plan was quite different indeed, in countless many ways, as you all could see just a month or so ago when Michael posted our proposal to AMD.

Comment

Working...
                      X