Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Slimbook V Announced: The First KDE Plasma 6 Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

-A device is more than just it's spec sheet.
    -That Asus @ Bestbuy is a Windows laptop. >> if you want to buy a windows laptop and then have to pray that everything works like you want it to, then go for that
    -I would think your linux experience would be a bit better with an OEM that chooses to pair with linux VS. that Asus windows device.
    Over the past 2 decades I've used and bought five laptops running Windows and all of them have worked with Linux near perfectly.

There's almost nothing special or guaranteed about a laptop with Linux preinstalled.

And of course given a high rate of regressions in the kernel even a 100% certified Linux laptop may still malfunction later on unless you're running RHEL which almost no one does afaik.

In short a Linux sticker is quite inconsequential. Windows machines may work with Linux as well as their Linux certified brethren. But oh boy Linux certified machines for some reasons are quite more expensive.

Comment

720p is biggest downside of this laptop due to remote work culture camera is important

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
        720p is biggest downside of this laptop due to remote work culture camera is important
        As a programmer even though I work remotely I rarely if ever use the webcam. Who needs a better one can just buy a dedicated one. I don't think the manufacturer should invest say 50$ for a good webcam when for many people this is not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          €1000 will get you just 16GB of RAM (which is IMO too little in 2024, I'd go for at least 32 because you don't want to allocate less than 4GB to your iGPU) and just a 250GB NVMe drive.

Other than that and it's horrible webcam it's totally fine. I've not found any downloads or BIOS updates for it. Maybe I've not been searching properly.
          It looks like you can "upgrade" to a single stick of 16 GB RAM for 5 euros and just buy another stick from a different store for like $50.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

There's no space for a larger sensor. If you're making money by streaming nude videos in onlyfans, you might want to invest in a dedicated studio camera.
            A saving of 0.1mm or 0.2mm ? The competition for space was intense.

Comment

I usually buy Dell or Lenovo since parts are so easily found when needed. Bezels, top bottom cases, batteries, touchpads, even motherboard upgrades/replacements are possible with used and new parts. For example, I have just dropped and cracked both bottom and top cases of my Thinkpad E495 and replaced them from eBay for a very reasonable price. Batteries are also much cheaper and widely available. I have upgraded the motherboard of my E7370 to have double RAM since the chips are soldered. The motherboard (eBay again) was similar price as a new sodimm stick!

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post

A saving of 0.1mm or 0.2mm ? The competition for space was intense.
                It's the same for other laptops as well. Phones have good cameras. Even business laptops come with shitty cameras with low resolution and grainy quality. FWIW I think 720p is pretty much ok if the sensor is good. It has actually more resolution than 1080i DVB broadcasts. You see 720p has 720 pixel lines, 1080i only has 540. You're usually using a split screen mode with zoom/teams and don't need full resolution image. Image quality OTOH is important. 1080p camera would be useful in some cases, but a majority of the use cases in business world don't have any use for higher resolution. Like I said, if you need more, buy a separate camera device.

Comment

16GB is not enough for laptops with hi-res displays. I think the memory requirement for gpu/UI composition just multiplies significantly if you run multiple displays alongside the hi-res laptop display. I am using a 4k thinkpad running i7-1360p and have to resort to use zram and a file based swap on ssd for the laptop to sanely run with a few docker containers running in the background alongwith a browser consuming a few Gigs on memory. I never had any issues running the same workload on a coffee lake laptop (running a 1080p primary and 2 1080p secondary displays) with 16GB of ram.

Comment

That CPU is an excellent choice. I am a big fan of the 780m iGPU. Phenomenal performance in my Minisforum u790 with 7940HS CPU. Can play Unreal Engine 5 games at 1440k between low and med settings.

Comment

Excellent little laptop. We now have Framework*, Slimbook, Tuxedo, System76 and a bunch of other Linux-focused laptop makers, the future is bright.

*I know they're not really a Linux-first vendor, but they do officially support it and test all their models with Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X