Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 Will Be Able To Boot On The Mainline Linux 6.8 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now it's Mediatek's turn

Comment

And support will be dropped 3 years after?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        I just wish Europe would push a law forcing all Android devices to run on a fully vanilla kernel.. so chip vendors are required to push all of their driver code and have it merged before they can sell it.
        Something for the sake of e-waste.
        I'm sorry, I am 100% for open source (my phone runs an open source android derivative), but this makes absolutely no sense. How would this even work? Linus Torvalds is god emperor smartphone? Linux forks are forbidden from smartphones? No competitor can fork linux and release a phone based on it because it isn't 100% pure upstream?

Even if we ignore all of the above, instituting this would mean 0 phones on the market could be sold in the EU. Android does not work on a 100% upstream kernel. While the binder framework has been upstreamed, there are differences in every android version that tie each release to a specific kernel base. Google is working towards making full upstream possible but there is still a ways to go.

You dont need everything upstreamed to eliminate e-waste. If companies are violating the GPL and not releasing kernel source for their devices then they should be punished and the EU absolutely should help enforce that. I would even go so far as to say manufacturers should have to do more then dump a zip file on the internet (I'm looking at you Samsung). For example, most manufacturers contribute to codeaurora which is an upstream android fork of linux

Comment

Working...
        X