Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 Will Be Able To Boot On The Mainline Linux 6.8 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 Will Be Able To Boot On The Mainline Linux 6.8 Kernel

Phoronix: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 Will Be Able To Boot On The Mainline Linux 6.8 Kernel

All the pieces have been aligned that the mainline Linux 6.8 kernel should be able to boot on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 SoC without any out-of-tree patches being necessary...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh wow, does that include the msm stuff too?

Comment

Is this just booting or does this include Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi, GPU, audio, etc?

Comment

Alright experts, which brand/phone should I buy for tinkering in the future? I want to be able to run linux on it

Comment

Nice work. Hopefully we can get the device manufacturers to do the same.
          It is about time that Google can push Android Updates directly.

Comment

Can be Good if Qualcoom 7c Gen 2 receive the same capabilities in next 6.9

Comment

Originally posted by mantide View Post
              Alright experts, which brand/phone should I buy for tinkering in the future? I want to be able to run linux on it
              I'm interested on it, the future looks darker in mainstream brands...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Is this just booting or does this include Bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi, GPU, audio, etc?
                Unless you use the vendor bsp kernel.. (which is probably a lot older than 6.8) with Android OS then probably not.
                On vanilla 6.8 you'll probably get working CPU cores and a text console over usb-serial.
                What a great world we live in...
                I just wish Europe would push a law forcing all Android devices to run on a fully vanilla kernel.. so chip vendors are required to push all of their driver code and have it merged before they can sell it.
                Something for the sake of e-waste.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

What a great world we live in...
                  I just wish Europe would push a law forcing all Android devices to run on a fully vanilla kernel.. so chip vendors are required to push all of their driver code and have it merged before they can sell it.
                  Something for the sake of e-waste.
                  The outcry on HN would be massive if such a thing were to get proposed

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post

The outcry on HN would be massive if such a thing were to get proposed
                    The EU is pushing for more sustainability in hardware, make it easier to repair, get longer upgrades and the german green party has a plan to crack the software open:

It isn't that hopeless

Comment

Working...
                    X