Framework 13 AMD Workaround Prepared For Linux To Deal With A Suspend Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework 13 AMD Workaround Prepared For Linux To Deal With A Suspend Issue

Phoronix: Framework 13 AMD Workaround Prepared For Linux To Deal With A Suspend Issue

A quirk has been discovered with the AMD-powered Framework 13 inch laptop where if a user closes the laptop's lid on an already-suspended system, the system will wake up. A set of Linux kernel patches are on the way to workaround this issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really great to have such detailed coverage on the Framework laptops (esp as I've got a Framework 16 ordered). I am really optimistic about Framework in particular in providing a laptop that can be upgraded like the desktop (case and PSU are 20+ years old) I'm currently using with a Ryzen 2600X.

Comment

Uhhhmm, so this means that this bug will not be fixed in the firmware? I understand the need for a temporary workaround, but should Framework itself not patch this behavior instead?

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
        Uhhhmm, so this means that this bug will not be fixed in the firmware? I understand the need for a temporary workaround, but should Framework itself not patch this behavior instead?
        I second.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
          It will be fixed in firmware. The patch Mario submitted explicitly checks for firmware 03.03 and then applies the workaround. I don't believe he would include this check if Framework indicated they wouldn't fix this in firmware.
          Last edited by Namelesswonder; 15 December 2023, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nealeu View Post
            Really great to have such detailed coverage on the Framework laptops (esp as I've got a Framework 16 ordered). I am really optimistic about Framework in particular in providing a laptop that can be upgraded like the desktop (case and PSU are 20+ years old) I'm currently using with a Ryzen 2600X.
            Dear god, man. The PSU is one of the few things I'm most likely to replace before it fails. (The other being hard drives.)

Don't mess around with the one component where a design fault could lead to failure dumping unexpected voltages into your other components.

Comment

The biggest 2 issues I'm facing with my AMD FW13 is idle APU usage and especially video decoding wattage. AMD is behind on the video decoding hardware acceleration on Linux compared to Windows, and possibly power-saving features, but they are working on things, fortunately.

Comment

Of course this should be fixed in FW, but I will already be happy about anything in-kernel, as the issues around S2R (generic ACPI) are still numerous on all sorts of systems.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                X