AMD-Powered Framework Laptop Now Working On Linux With Latest BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD-Powered Framework Laptop Now Working On Linux With Latest BIOS

Phoronix: AMD-Powered Framework Laptop Now Working On Linux With Latest BIOS

Earlier this month Framework 13 began shipping out their AMD Ryzen powered modular laptop. Unfortunately though the launch-day testing of the Framework laptop under Linux was hampered by a BIOS issue. It's taken longer, but this week a new BIOS is now available for testing that resolves the AMD Linux graphics issue. Here's how to go about easily flashing the system BIOS with Fwupd and LVFS to get up and running well on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure what you mean…

But it's been an issue seen by the AMD Linux crew previously and was a matter of rolling of Framework rolling out a new system BIOS with the fix.
    sometimes I just don’t understand. Don’t know if this is one of those times.

Comment

Originally posted by aschmidtm View Post
      Not sure what you mean…

But it's been an issue seen by the AMD Linux crew previously and was a matter of rolling of Framework rolling out a new system BIOS with the fix.

sometimes I just don’t understand. Don’t know if this is one of those times.
      They saw the same AMDGPU issue with other unspecified systems.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the nice tutorial! Hopefully I won't need it - my FW Ryzen laptop is currently shipping and seeing that people already received theirs with the new BIOS, the new version is hopefully preinstalled.

Small typo in the article:
        Uploaded to LVFS is the 3.0.0.3.2 BIOS...
        Should be 3.0.3 I guess?

Comment

I'm really tempted to get one of those

Comment

It would be nice if the screenshots in the articles were served as png (or other lossless) format. The current formats, webp/vp8, as well jpg, are not suited for screenshots.

Comment

The framework 16 looks nice but is a price tier above what I'm comfortable with, I tried to price a low spec and high spec version and TBH even with buying as much of the internals elsewhere (for half the price framework tries to bundle them with) the low spec just wasn't worth considering. So compared to the mid-spec I want it's somewhat better yes but also approaching twice the price.

Realistically I'd want to spend 50% less and go for a mid-spec, but I want it to last a decade so a 7840u and a decent screen is a dealbreaker. The best competitor I've found so far is a thinkpad which doesn't come in a perfect model. A Thinkpad T14s Gen 4 can be specced with a 2.8k screen and 32GB soldered RAM, the 32GB soldered limits the lifespan, or a thinkpad P14s Gen 4 can be specced with a 1920x1200 screen and 64GB soldered RAM, but my ideal would be a 2.8k screen with 64GB of RAM which doesn't seem to exist. It's like they have to have some way of limiting the lifespan of a product, it's annoying.

edit: Framework also comes with a very good battery compared to most other laptops, that aren't business class I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by JanW View Post
                Thanks for the nice tutorial! Hopefully I won't need it - my FW Ryzen laptop is currently shipping and seeing that people already received theirs with the new BIOS, the new version is hopefully preinstalled.
                Got mine yesterday with 3.0.2. I don't think they will ship it as long as it is in beta.

Comment

what is uefi dbx?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    what is uefi dbx?
                    SecureBoot database of hashes of loaders prohibited to boot (rootkits / insecure bootloaders / etc)
                    Last edited by openminded; 28 October 2023, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X