Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Why not downgrading then?
    I requested a 3.0 BIOS release like two weeks ago now from Framework and still haven't received it yet :/
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Always super helpful when reviewers are held back by a product - it forces fixes to happen sooner.
      Yep, this is sadly true.
      For Gen12 they only release one beta BIOS (with a feature promised in the product preview). In 9 months they did not manage to release fixes for the bugs introduced. 5 months ago they advertised bigger batteries which will be supported with a new BIOS version, not even a beta yet. Not to mention the security vulnerabilities not fixed in the current stable/beta release.
      I love the device, but this is just sad.

Hi Everyone! We are excited to release our first BIOS update for 12th Gen Systems. This update has been a bit more complex due to needing to update retimers, and we have had to rewrite our updater for both EFI and windows to support this. Please carefully read through the update instructions, especially if you update using EFI! Please note that if you update to 3.06, you will not be able to downgrade to a lower version as it will cause left side ports to stop functioning for any mode except ...

Comment

The BIOS bug fix is just the start. These 7xxx APUs from the Reimbrandt platform have plenty more CPU and GPU issues on Linux, faced by many other folks using the Reimbrandt laptops. So, the fun just began

Comment

I have an AMD Framework 16 preordered for Q1, and will probably pick up an AMD Framework 13. I have their Intel-based Chromebook currently, and love that the hardware is open and repairable. A pleasant change from most OEMs. Literally having scannable QRs on every internal part that link directly to "order this bit" in their store is nice, plus they're open to you sourcing bits elsewhere if you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I requested a 3.0 BIOS release like two weeks ago now from Framework and still haven't received it yet :/
            Wow, that's really bad from them. I truly wanted to buy a 16" Phoenix Framework but their queue is ridiculous and I ended up buying an HP Elitebook 865 G10 w/ 64GB of ram, 4TB NVMe and an HP Thunderbolt 4 G4 Dock. So far I'm quite satisfied with the Linux support and the laptop overall, but I have my doubts about the thermal design: I wanted to test it against your Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 but I'm having all kind of issues with phoronix-test-suite including segfaults when trying to upload the result to OpenBenchmarking.org. If you don't mind I'll open a couple of issues on GitHub because I would really like to upload some meaningful results.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by sharpjs View Post
              Framework 16 batch 4 here. While I do not have a Framework product yet, I'm confident that this is only a temporary issue. At least judging by what I've seen on their forums, Framework seems to be very responsive with Linux support.
              Framework 16 batch 1 here. I'll post when I have mine and will do some tests ...
              Note that I did order it without RAM and the 2230 NVme - as I'll get these myself (but, it should all be here at the same time so I can build it up fast and test the heck out of it ) .
              Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

It cannot be: AMD good NVIDIA bad Intel bad.
                Last edited by bobbie424242; 04 October 2023, 06:33 AM.

Comment

This review is something I genuinely look forward to reading when it hits. I've had a string of 15" Macbook Pros as my main use machine while in university and I still have one as my mobile/couch machine, but I've increasingly fallen out of love with Apples obsession with thinness at the cost of ergonomics and repairability/upgradeability. I consider Intel to be the Monsanto of the semiconductor industry and hence an AMD Ryzen Framework is basically everything I want in a laptop.

If only they had an official Scandinavian keyboard and I wouldn't have to basically grey market import one to Finland...

Comment

I assume Framework right now is victim of its own success, Framework 16 supposedly turned out to be extremely popular and support is busy with processing preorders for that model. I hope they'll sort that out...

Comment

With issues like this, I am starting to understand the proponents of open firmware.

Comment

Working...
                      X