AMD Ryzen Powered Framework Laptop Linux Testing Held Up By BIOS Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen Powered Framework Laptop Linux Testing Held Up By BIOS Issue

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen Powered Framework Laptop Linux Testing Held Up By BIOS Issue

Today the review embargo lifts on the first AMD-powered Framework laptop. There's one of the AMD Framework laptops in the lab for Linux testing and benchmarking but unfortunately no review for launch day due to being held up by a BIOS regression and thus unable to properly utilize accelerated graphics until a new BIOS revision is made available in the coming days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Always super helpful when reviewers are held back by a product - it forces fixes to happen sooner.

Comment

It's also helpful because it shows how much(or little) testing was done on Linux before release. It shows that in the end Framework is a Windows thing. If even Lenovo could do better, I don't have much hope in Framework/Linux future.
      RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
        It's also helpful because it shows how much(or little) testing was done on Linux before release.
        Or none. But at least they are responsive to bug reports, so they are still superior to a lot of hardware makers.

Comment

That's unfortunately, however this 16" will be my next work laptop when my current Slimbook executive is old and if they are available in my country.

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
            It's also helpful because it shows how much(or little) testing was done on Linux before release. It shows that in the end Framework is a Windows thing. If even Lenovo could do better, I don't have much hope in Framework/Linux future.
            AMD apparently validated the new Framework laptop on Linux but did so on the 3.00 BIOS, only for the 3.01 BIOS to break things and in turn is what was pre-loaded on the reviewer units... AMD Linux folks were responsive in confirming and figuring out the solution. Now I'm just waiting on Framework to provide a new BIOS.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

BIOS problems and AMD DDR5 platforms aren't uncommon. The AM5 mainboards had quite a few BIOS goofs.

Comment

Specs and modularity look good, but is there a BLACK version?

I'd rather have it be completely thinkpad-black, but at least I'd want screen edges and keyboard area to be black. Else I'd unavoidably see some sort of reflection onscreen.

Comment

Framework 16 batch 4 here. While I do not have a Framework product yet, I'm confident that this is only a temporary issue. At least judging by what I've seen on their forums, Framework seems to be very responsive with Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

AMD apparently validated the new Framework laptop on Linux but did so on the 3.00 BIOS, only for the 3.01 BIOS to break things and in turn is what was pre-loaded on the reviewer units... AMD Linux folks were responsive in confirming and figuring out the solution. Now I'm just waiting on Framework to provide a new BIOS.
                    Why not downgrading then?
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X