Linux 6.4 Squeezes In Crash Fix For New AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.4 Squeezes In Crash Fix For New AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Laptops

Phoronix: Linux 6.4 Squeezes In Crash Fix For New AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Laptops

Sent in today for the mainline Linux kernel -- days ahead of the expected Linux 6.4 stable release -- is a crash fix for just-released AMD Ryzen 7040 series laptops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still working on getting my hands on AMD Ryzen 7040 series hardware for Linux testing at Phoronix, but alas most of the new Ryzen laptops so far are paired with NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics that are less than interesting to most of the Phoronix audience.
    You could look at the Beelink or Minisforum mini-pc products? They're using these CPUs without a dGPU, they might be open to sponsoring the hardware to Phoronix for review too, at least I've heard Minisforum does that for some youtube reviewers. See the UM790 Pro as their current flagship:

Minisforum UM790 PRO is Powered by AMD Ryzen™ 9 7940HS Processor and AMD Radeon™ 780M. Dual NVMe PCIe4.0 & Dual 40Gbps USB4. Intel® Killer™ AX1675 Wi-Fi 6E Network Card. The UM790 Pro Features An Innovative Cooling System That Actively Cools The Memory and SSD

Apparently their previous gen didn't do too well with cooling. I've never purchased their products, so no clue how friendly they are with Linux or if they're more than just specs for value without good QA. Their FAQ does state that components like RAM and SSD will vary in brand, but that's not uncommon for some laptops either AFAIK.

Comment

I'm still working on getting my hands on AMD Ryzen 7040 series hardware for Linux testing at Phoronix, but alas most of the new Ryzen laptops so far are paired with NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics that are less than interesting to most of the Phoronix audience.
      Another option: Framework 13 laptop with Ryzen 7040 series are available for preorder (shipping Q4 of this year). Granted, not ideal for benchmarks before then, but maybe you can reach out to them directly to see if they'd be willing to send you one sooner for benchmarking.

Comment

Working...
      X