System76 Virgo Aims To Be The Quietest Yet Most Performant Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Virgo Aims To Be The Quietest Yet Most Performant Linux Laptop

Phoronix: System76 Virgo Aims To Be The Quietest Yet Most Performant Linux Laptop

System76 continues teasing the in-house laptop design they are working on codenamed Virgo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That keyboard is from a Thinkpad. I miss the time were you could cheaply replace those things. Now most "modern" laptops I see have the keyboard integrated with the top chassis cover, making them much more expensive to replace, not to mention difficult to offer multiple language options, without defacing the default layouts of those languages.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      That keyboard is from a Thinkpad. I miss the time were you could cheaply replace those things. Now most "modern" laptops I see have the keyboard integrated with the top chassis cover, making them much more expensive to replace, not to mention difficult to offer multiple language options, without defacing the default layouts of those languages.
      Thank Apple for teaching everyone how to do planned obsolescence properly

Comment

Who is actually buying their stuff?

These people do not understand basic business principles, Linux, and open source software in general, appeals to people that do not like spending money, primarily on software, but also on hardware.

They are trying to create a "premium" laptop, to market it to a bunch if cheapskates, me included, that would rather buy a used laptop from eBay or a previous gen laptop from Microcenter or Staples, and install whatever OS they want, in my case a Win 10 / Gecko Rolling dual boot.

These people really need to realize that they need to offer something unique if they plan on marketing a "premium" Linux based laptop at top dollar and honestly, i do not think anyone at the company has any clue how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

These people do not understand basic business principles, Linux, and open source software in general, appeals to people that do not like spending money, primarily on software, but also on hardware.

They are trying to create a "premium" laptop, to market it to a bunch if cheapskates, me included, that would rather buy a used laptop from eBay or a previous gen laptop from Microcenter or Staples, and install whatever OS they want, in my case a Win 10 / Gecko Rolling dual boot.

These people really need to realize that they need to offer something unique if they plan on marketing a "premium" Linux based laptop at top dollar and honestly, i do not think anyone at the company has any clue how to do that.
          They seem to be doing something right since they continue to keep growing

Comment

Just because Linux is free doesn't mean LInux fans use it for the sake of saving the 50/100$ tag on a Windows license. Much of the Linux user base are developers who are paid well and wouldn't mind paying over 1500$ for the right laptop. If System76 provides a performant laptop in a premium build with good battery life and no driver issues they'll definitely sell a lot.

Comment

That's a massive touchpad, meh. I wouldn't mind if it would accept Thinkpad keyboard, it would be pretty cool.

You clearly aren't the target for such device then. Around ~$1500 for a new dev laptop is pretty much standard.​
              Last edited by Pepec9124; 29 May 2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

That was true for a lot of people 25 years ago when I first started installing GNU/Linux on old machines. Since that time, plenty of people have spent plenty of money on hardware (and software), myself included.

System76 is already successfully selling some premium priced hardware, and are probably looking at Purism and some other GNU/Linux hardware makers like Star Labs who are also apparently selling some units at a premium price. They appear to know their market well enough.

Comment

Michael -- spam filter please. again. for fucks sake.

Comment

projecting a little hard here lmao

Comment

Working...
                    X