Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Laptop Users Should Avoid Linux 5.19.12 To Avoid Potentially Damaging The Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Templar82
    replied
    Good thing my Rolling Release Distroâ„¢ already released Linux 6.0 yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• flower
    replied
    Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Besides, there's not only the bleeding edge kernel, but also de LTS one in the repos, right?
    true, but the same is true to latest mesa and other packages.
    i wouldn't recommend arch for someone who really needs a stable distribution (or... i would make him use snapshots)

Leave a comment:

• jorgepl
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

TBH, while I've had breakages with rolling releases, I also had breakages with Ubuntu LTS in the past and also Debian Stable-derived distros like Deepin.
    I accept the Ubuntu case, but Deepin is no example of stability.

Leave a comment:

• jorgepl
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    35-352271_smug-saitama-smug-anime-face-know-your-meme.jpg

Me, using a LTS distro that other people call "obsolete crap", watching kids on the bleeding edge getting their papercuts...
    I benched today PopOS and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on Horizon Zero Dawn and Red Dead Redemption 2. The difference was neglibible and could be attributed to different display servers (xorg on Pop and Wayland on Ubuntu). I honestly doubt being on the bleeding edge provides any significant advantage in most cases, and you get exposed to this in return.

I feel it's more meme them anything else at this point.

Leave a comment:

• jorgepl
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Don't worry, it's always a "first time" for anyone when it fucks up their setup.

And then you'll have some smartass who's gonna say "works for me, never had issues" and others believe him... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

Rolling release distros will break your setup at some point. It's not a question of if, but when.
    But you get latest Mesa!

Leave a comment:

• jorgepl
    replied
    Originally posted by flower View Post

arch is a community based distribution with no company backing. and it is known for bleeding edge
    *you* are the tester
    Besides, there's not only the bleeding edge kernel, but also de LTS one in the repos, right?

Leave a comment:

• franglais125
    replied
    ... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

Rolling release distros will break your setup at some point. It's not a question of if, but when.
    Well said.

And even then, you always have the smartass that will tell you that once their install didn't boot, but "no biggie!" since they will go into rescue mode yadda yadda.

Your install broke. You knew how to fix it, sure, but don't go around telling people "never had an issue", as someone else might not be able to extricate themselves from a similar situation.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Me, having had issues with both rolling release AND LTS, watching you...
    Cool, I have my own cyborg sidekick.

Leave a comment:

• fong38
    replied
    Don't worry, it's always a "first time" for anyone when it fucks up their setup.

And then you'll have some smartass who's gonna say "works for me, never had issues" and others believe him... until a "first time" happens to them. Then they complain, and another smartass says the same thing, ad infinitum.

So will stable release distros, except breakages will occur only at certain time points and with a much higher chance as you'll update everything at once.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    35-352271_smug-saitama-smug-anime-face-know-your-meme.jpg

Me, using a LTS distro that other people call "obsolete crap", watching kids on the bleeding edge getting their papercuts...
    Me, having had issues with both rolling release AND LTS, watching you...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X