Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 & HP Formally Launch The HP Dev One AMD Ryzen Laptop With Pop!_OS Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

LOL, as if the rest of the world matters. Really they shouldn't even sell them outside of Texas, the entire rest of the world is irrelevant.
    Unless you want/need an abortion

Comment

People will always find something to complain about. It looks like a good deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
        At the moment the only laptops that look appealing to are:
        • ASUS ROG Flow X13 (2022) GV301RA
        • ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 (2022) GA402RK
        These laptops probably won't have good Linux support anytime soon. So for now I'm keeping an eye out for other manufacturers to produce Laptops with AMD & DDR5.

My Dell /w 2500U is starting to show it's age.
        I'd buy either if only those configurations would be available in Belgium :'(
        Until then I'm stuck with my Dell XPS 13 9350 from 2015

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

I agree 1080p, particularly in a 14" form factor is quite usable, and probably preferred for battery life in an ultra-portable.

However for a developer focused productivity machine, a taller aspect display like 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 would have been nice. Between that and lack of a 32GB ram option seems to have missed the mark.
          I disagree.

Since this is meant to be a "developer" laptop, a lot of developers tend to spend a lot of time looking at text and text rendering for 1080p on a 14inch display specifically with text looks terrible to a lot of people.

For gaming/multimedia consumption it would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
            1000nit display... meanwhile ThinkPads are rarely higher than 300nit

1080p is fine considering the state of scaling/fractional scaling

interesting they chose a realtek wifi card, thought an ax210 would be the best choice

now, when can we get it in other countries?
            You can get higher nit displays on Thinkpad's, it just depends on the models and the fact that you need to customize the purchase option.

For the cheaper/basic models then yes it is only 300 nits.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              LOL, as if the rest of the world matters. Really they shouldn't even sell them outside of Texas, the entire rest of the world is irrelevant.
              Is there a world outside Texas? I thought it was just from Dallas to Ft. Worth.

HeadofACLU.jpg

Comment

Unfortunately at this time there is only the 16GB system memory option, a bit unfortunate for a developer-minded system (Update: Reportedly it will be upgradeable to 64GB of RAM but details still unclear at the moment.).
                Come on... Who the hell needs 16GIGABYTES for a developer machine?. If anything developers should run OLD and LIMITED hardware so they learn to write efficient programs and not hello world that pulls in 10 megabyte of dependencies, 3d libraries and other bloated nonsense to render the text..!!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

What's wrong with 1080p?

Written from my Dell Precision 5540 with an excellent 1080p matte screen.
                  What is wrong is that you don't get bragging rights. You know, nerds love to brag about their equipment, even if said equipment spec causes them to came here to complain, that resolution scale is not working right on XYZ desktop environment...

Comment

Sorry guys but all this "1080p is great" stuff is nonsense for a developer. It's great for full screen youtube or netflix or facebook or any number of consumption related activities, but developers (and administrators) need to usably fit more than one thing on the screen at a time. 4K is great, on a large display you can run the equivalent of 4x 1080p windows at once and it's hard to argue with that much data (until it's time to get a second screen too) but that doesn't make sense on a 14 inch screen of course... but it's not one or the other, there are several resolutions in between and hidpi scaling that will help you get the best balance of visual quantity and data quantity your device can give. But 1080p is the bare minimum where you're fitting a single complex app on screen at once at a usable resolution.

This is one of the reasons mac laptops are so popular with open source developers. Even the base macbook air has a 2560 x 1600 display in a 13 inch format, and you can choose how you want those extra pixels put to use. When Asahi gets to a stable release I wouldn't be surprised to see developers jumping ship to Apple laptops in droves.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
                      2560 x 1600 display in a 13 inch format, and you can choose how you want those extra pixels put to use.
                      Bollox, font size is still font size. It's 13 inches and hardly bigger than an Ipad, developers like 27 inch screens or above and preferably more than one of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X