Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 & HP Formally Launch The HP Dev One AMD Ryzen Laptop With Pop!_OS Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Bollox, font size is still font size. It's 13 inches and hardly bigger than an Ipad, developers like 27 inch screens or above and preferably more than one of them.
    Yep that's why you see so many developers walking around with 27 inch laptops. Good job.

Comment

Mediocre specs.
      List of reasons not ideal for developers

1. AMD Ryzen™ 7 PRO 5850U processor
      6800U when?

2. 1920x1080 screen
      16:9 itself is already bad for developers. No reason to bring it here when everyone else goes 16:10.

3. Integrated: AMD Radeon™ Graphics (Support HW decode, DX12)
      Another reason to ask "6800U when?"
      No AV1 decode in RDNA2 iirc.

btw, why DX12 involves here when you're targeting Linux users?

4. Dual Point Backlit spill-resistant Premium Keyboard
      Gimme a larger Escape key please

5. Full Disk Encryption
      How? LUSK+TPM2 or something else?

6. System76 Launch Configurable Keyboard
      Why mention it at all? Developers have their own preferences and nobody around me care about System76's keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by danger View Post

Bluetooth is flaky on the ax210 card. Even on the most recent kernel I still experience frequent bluetooth lockups with various BLE mice. After a lot of research I believe the problem is in the firmware blob. Some people had success with downgrading the firmware.
        That must be a particular issue with the AX210 then, 'cause I've been using the AX200 on my PC for months now without any issue whatsoever. The only minor issue is that it sometimes it takes a little while to connect to my Bluetooth speaker after a cold boot, but that's an issue that I have seen for years with many different Bluetooth chips on Linux (and also Android TV and Fire TV). Once it's connected, though, it stays connected, even if I reconnect (since it times out after 15 minutes af inactivity) until the next cold boot.

Comment

I wonder if this can run 3 external monitors? Not sure how to read the spec on the website, whether both USB C ports are DP capable.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post

Yep that's why you see so many developers walking around with 27 inch laptops. Good job.
            Perhaps that's why they plug them into 27 inch monitors ?

Comment

Perhaps that's why they plug them into 27 inch monitors ?
              So basically the argument for a low res screen is that people aren't using the screen anyway? I dunno about you but I use my laptop as a laptop pretty much all the time. Why not just get a desktop?

Comment

So basically the argument for a low res screen is that people aren't using the screen anyway? I dunno about you but I use my laptop as a laptop pretty much all the time. Why not just get a desktop?
                This is one of the reasons mac laptops are so popular with open source developers. Even the base macbook air has a 2560 x 1600 display in a 13 inch format,

This is one of the reasons mac laptops are so popular with open source developers. Even the base macbook air has a 2560 x 1600 display in a 13 inch format,

Which is easier to read ?

Comment

Which is easier to read ?
                  That depends on the part you conveniently left out of the quote: and you can choose how you want those extra pixels put to use.

Are you also going to claim that the current iphone's 460 PPI has somehow created an unreadable, unusable screen? That's more than double the PPI of the macbook air 13.

But to take your point at its snarkiest, I find both of them readable yet neither are the font size I actually use.

Comment

That {snip}
                    Tell you what, you put this chart on a 27 inch monitor and on a Iphone, stand one meter away and see how far down you can read the chart in comparison ? It doesn't matter how many dots you have on a postage stamp, it's still a postage stamp.

etdrs-eyechart-8col.jpg

Last edited by Slartifartblast; 04 June 2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Right, but you're literally, aggressively making my point.

Comment

Working...
                      X