Linux Workaround Coming For Better s2idle Resume On More AMD Lenovo Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Workaround Coming For Better s2idle Resume On More AMD Lenovo Laptops

Phoronix: Linux Workaround Coming For Better s2idle Resume On More AMD Lenovo Laptops

Going along with many recent s2idle (suspend to idle) fixes as well as other fixes/workarounds/improvements like around S0ix, a patch is pending as a fix/workaround to get s2idle behaving correctly -- or rather, more timely -- on more AMD Ryzen powered Lenovo laptops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fucking closed source firmware!

Comment

So first Lenovo took the time to develop this SMI and now someone had to spend time developing a way to disable it.

Comment

I'd rather have S3/deep/s2ram back than this Windows nonsense; unfortunately many laptops have S3 kicked out of firmware, sadly seeming AMD ones especially.

Comment

Thats exactly the issue that I see on my new Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro 16ACH6. Ok it was worse already, before linux 5.17 it needed 30 seconds to turn on the display after sleep, now its ca. 10. seconds, but wireless (even with Intel wifi) is not available until the next reboot. I never had so many issues with other brands :-(

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            I never had so many issues with other brands :-(
            i assure you, other brands also have problems:
            on some fujitsu-intel laptops:
            -screen doesnt turn on when using a rhel 8 kernel 4.18iirc, fixed in other kernels but not backported.
            -on fuji 5511. laptop keyboard doesn t work in gfx on 5.17 kernel (fedora 36). seems fixed in 5.18rc0
            -kernel panics at shutdown on 5.17, seems fixed in 5.18
            -still a bad kernel message at boot on 5.18
            - closing the screen also wakes up from sleep

most of the brands just ignore the linux world i hope this will change
            Last edited by lethalwp; 08 May 2022, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
              I'd rather have S3/deep/s2ram back than this Windows nonsense; unfortunately many laptops have S3 kicked out of firmware, sadly seeming AMD ones especially.
              It often is not removed from the firmware but only commented (yes, some laptops have the S3 symbol renamed to _S3) or removed from the ACPI table. That can be patched by loading a custom patched ACPI table when loading the linux kernel. Many users fix this way the stupid s0ix/s2idle non sense by jest going back to S3

Comment

I hope they solve once and for all, this bugs on amd platforms..
                Because I am waiting to buy a Lenovo L14 gen2, but I will not until they decide to solve this mess.

Comment

Have a T14s. There's a switch in the bios options to use real S3. Works fine once you know it's there. Instant wakeup.

Comment

So glad this is coming through, also with a t14s that had these issues although as mentioned by other people you now have an option in the bios to switch the sleeping option to a "Linux" one.

In any case this is useful if you plan on dual booting the laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X