Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage On Linux

With an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX Zen 3 processor and Radeon RX 6800M graphics, the ASUS ROG Strix G15 laptop may be promising for those wanting high performance and graphics backed by AMD's much enjoyed open-source Linux GPU driver stack. Plus this ASUS ROG Strix G15 (G513QY) is one of the first two "AMD Advantage" laptops. But when it comes to using it on Linux, it's not without some struggles before being able to enjoy the compelling performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn performance but bad Linux support....

Comment

Is there any way you could test if VFIO (GPU passthrough) would work with this laptop ?
      Thanks.

Comment

You can control the RBG and fans with asusctl, source: https://gitlab.com/asus-linux/asusctl

Comment

Originally posted by N0dens View Post
          Is there any way you could test if VFIO (GPU passthrough) would work with this laptop ?
          Thanks.
          Considering become a patreon

Comment

Thanks Michael, very impressive benchmark! I want one of these w/o dGPU, with price tag under $1000.

Comment

We really need an upgraded version of the TongFang PF5NU1G (ODM of Mechrevo Code 01/Schenker Via Pro 15/etc) with the 5900HX, would be THE developer machine, as we can see the iGPU is really capable for everyday tasks, light gaming/emulated nintendo

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
                Thanks Michael, very impressive benchmark! I want one of these w/o dGPU, with price tag under $1000.
                Yeah that's the challenge. They really don't package these beefy CPUs without the dGPUs, even though they would make good developer machines. I've thought about it, and I would probably just pay more and get the dGPU as well, since their power efficiency is much better than they used to be.

Comment

Looks like cheap, plastic toy. I guess there's no metal frame, and hinges are screwed to plastic base, like in most consumer laptops...

Comment

No kernel update can fix the lack of a web cam on this stupid laptop!

Comment

Working...
                    X