Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.12 Should See ACPI Platform Profile Support To Alter System Thermal/Power Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12 Should See ACPI Platform Profile Support To Alter System Thermal/Power Levels

Phoronix: Linux 5.12 Should See ACPI Platform Profile Support To Alter System Thermal/Power Levels

Thanks to the ongoing upstream improvements being pursued by Lenovo as part of their effort to enhance their product support, the Linux power management tree has picked up the initial ACPI Platform Profile implementation for benefiting newer devices like Lenovo laptops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are Fedora-preloaded Lenovo systems available in the EU yet?

Comment

And there's already a KDE patch to support it and expose a UI: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/powerd...ge_requests/34

Comment

I don't use laptops so I'm quite surprised that this kind of functionality isn't already present in Linux. In any case I'm glad that Lenovo is stepping up and creating it.

Comment

Will this be available for other laptop vendors as well?

As a side note, I'd wish that Lenovo would bring better linux suport to consumer series like yoga as well. Thinkpads sometime seem overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotyso View Post
            Will this be available for other laptop vendors as well?

As a side note, I'd wish that Lenovo would bring better linux suport to consumer series like yoga as well. Thinkpads sometime seem overpriced.
            every vendor needs to implement it in (their) acpi platform driver, there's no acpi "standard" for this (yet?). The patch linked to in the article provides the standardized interface for linux userspace and the platform drivers.

Comment

I don't get these profiles, since they do not tell anything about the power save measures.

It can be guessed that the highest setting has almost no power save measures activated.
              And it can be guessed that the lowest setting has most of all power save measures activated (but I hope not Bluetooth and USB, since there is always one device which doesn't work correctly then, like Bluetooth keyboards going to sleep after 5 seconds and needing a keypress and another 2 seconds to wake-up).
              Let's also hope that power save measures without adverse performance effects are always activated with these profiles.

But what do all the profiles inbetween mean?
              At which point will the computational performance (let's say this includes CPU frequencies and PCIe links) decrease?
              At which point will the I/O performance (let's say this includes USB, SATA and PCIe links) decrease?
              Which profile should I choose if I want to watch a 4K video, for which my GPU does not provide hardware decoding, i.e. my CPU has to put in quite some effort?
              Which profile should I choose if I want to copy a terabyte from one disk to another, but I don't have any computational requirements at the same time, because I am only reading text on web pages or in documents while the file transfer is in progress?

Comment

I'd really hoped it would make it into 5.11, but this is great nonetheless. The lenovo driver should effectively fix throttling under Linux completely. Right now I'm forced to use a custom script, but it doesn't solve the problem completely.

Comment

Originally posted by mihau View Post
                  The lenovo driver should effectively fix throttling under Linux completely. Right now I'm forced to use a custom script, but it doesn't solve the problem completely.
                  Same here. Love my ThinkPad, but the throttling issue is a major one and as you pointed out, the script only partially fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Same here. Love my ThinkPad, but the throttling issue is a major one and as you pointed out, the script only partially fixes it.
                    What throttling issue? Thermal throttling due to too high temperatures? Or did you mean it being unable to reach it's full performance due to these ACPI/UEFI power saving features that you weren't able to tweak until now?

Comment

Working...
                    X