Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.12 Should See ACPI Platform Profile Support To Alter System Thermal/Power Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

What throttling issue? Thermal throttling due to too high temperatures? Or did you mean it being unable to reach it's full performance due to these ACPI/UEFI power saving features that you weren't able to tweak until now?
    The laptop has 3 different power limit settings that are not accessible from Linux (though some people have had success adjusting them by calling an ACPI method via acpi_call, I myself have not). On windows they are adjusted with the new power slider feature. From what I've observed it's pretty much just fan speed, TDP and thermal limit adjustment. You can modify some of these from Linux, but not all of them and it's not as convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

What throttling issue?
      This one, as confirmed by Lenovo themselves: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...mal-Throttling

Comment

Originally posted by mihau View Post

The laptop has 3 different power limit settings that are not accessible from Linux (though some people have had success adjusting them by calling an ACPI method via acpi_call, I myself have not). On windows they are adjusted with the new power slider feature. From what I've observed it's pretty much just fan speed, TDP and thermal limit adjustment. You can modify some of these from Linux, but not all of them and it's not as convenient.
        Ah, got it. Yeah I'd love to be able to tweak those easily as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

This one, as confirmed by Lenovo themselves: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...mal-Throttling
          Ah, that one. Yeah my ThinkPad's Intel CPU doesn't go all the way upto it's highest boost frequency of 2.8 GHz on all core workloads. It does go upto 2.7 GHz, so very close, but that extra performance would be nice.

​​​​

Comment

Working...
          X