Android 11 Released, Now Available Via Open-Source Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    New phones have larger batteries. Why should one fix it on software level when you can invest in larger batteries?
    My current phone, while having 3 to 4 day battery life with my usage, doesn't have a user replaceable battery. My previous phones did and by the time I needed to buy new batteries all that was left was 3rd party batteries and those worked for 6 months before crapping out on me. While YMMV, there is no way to be sure that you'll be able to even buy a reliable battery 2+ years into the phone's life.

Comment

First thing I did was turn off "home settings > suggestions".

I hate how app features are becoming OS features, I thought it was a Mac thing but today Google is pushing an OS update to replace Hangouts.

Killed by Google is the open source list of dead Google products, services, and devices. It serves as a tribute and memorial of beloved services and products killed by Google.
      Last edited by elatllat; 08 September 2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Because you're a fucking Re Tardo that's why
        I'm just quoting this as an example, but other replies to caligula would have been nearly as good: I think caligula is actually being sarcastic and it doesn't seem so hard to get.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I'm just quoting this as an example, but other replies to caligula would have been nearly as good: I think caligula is actually being sarcastic and it doesn't seem so hard to get.
          It's just how the market works. For instance, only the very best phones from 2012 are able to run Android 11 without grinding to a halt. The reason for this isn't some specific long standing bug, people expect more eye candy etc. So, in the end, it doesn't really matter if it's sloppy programming, some real perf bug or just bigger graphics, the end result is the same, one needs better hardware to run it.

Comment

After I saw what disgusting insult to taste Oneplus did to its UI for this update, I forced my phone to not offer updates any more. Guess my 7T Pro will be stuck on Android 10 forever.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

It's just how the market works. For instance, only the very best phones from 2012 are able to run Android 11 without grinding to a halt. The reason for this isn't some specific long standing bug, people expect more eye candy etc. So, in the end, it doesn't really matter if it's sloppy programming, some real perf bug or just bigger graphics, the end result is the same, one needs better hardware to run it.
              Unfortunately that's the sad truth. Nowadays it's like we need at least a 64GB NAND because at least 18GB will be used by the OS and special partitions, 3GB of ram, and a moderately decent mobile GPU paired with a 4+ core CPU.

I remember my first phone running perfectly fine with 512mb of ram, a 32GB NAND that used 8GB for the OS and special partitions, and a single core CPU tied with a craptastic mobile GPU. I do the same tasks on my first phone that I do with my current phone -- very light gaming, light communications, moderate news reading, lots of PowerAmp -- so generation after generation I've been buying new phones because Google has a crappy Android update policy with no concept of LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I remember my first phone running perfectly fine with 512mb of ram, a 32GB NAND that used 8GB for the OS and special partitions, and a single core CPU tied with a craptastic mobile GPU. I do the same tasks on my first phone that I do with my current phone -- very light gaming, light communications, moderate news reading, lots of PowerAmp -- so generation after generation I've been buying new phones because Google has a crappy Android update policy with no concept of LTS.
                Good old days. Its a funny fact that we only remember the good things and forget how horrible things were.
                But my Android 2.2 phone is a horrible pain in the ass no one would use today, simply a horrible slow laggy mess that takes forever for everything. Phones simply age like fresh milk.

Comment

The feature I want is a global setting, "Disable notifications for everything I install by default." I have notifications on for my dialer, text messages, Syncthing (because it doesn't seem to work with them off - not sure why), and navigation applications. For everything else, they're off. I don't care about the deal of the day, enticements to play the games my kids installed, the latest videos from some Youtube channel, the newest music from some band, news pop-ups, and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Unfortunately that's the sad truth. Nowadays it's like we need at least a 64GB NAND because at least 18GB will be used by the OS and special partitions, 3GB of ram, and a moderately decent mobile GPU paired with a 4+ core CPU.

Qft. These days the size of an Android install rivals a Win10 install. Insane.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Let's see how long it takes to reach my Nokia 8.1. Though as far as features are concerned, I couldn't tell you what Android 10 brought to the table, much less 11.
                      The biggest change in 10 is different system gestures. 9's gestures were similar to Palm/HP webOS while 10 changed to iOS-style gestures.

Comment

Working...
                      X