I've Been Running The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U + Ubuntu 20.04 As My Main System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Why not? It's fun,... But, seriously, I switched to Wayland, because of input bugs in JetBrains products under X11. Now my screensharing doesn't work in Slack. However, Wayland FTW!
    hehe Im fine with both ....but well some folks are very fundamentalistic

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

Raven Ridge is 2000 and 3000 series APU, i got an RR in this laptop i am typing from.
      It's also some Athlon 2X0GE and 3000G
      I have an Athlon 200GE in my NAS.

You are right I missed the 2000 series. I think that even 2000 series mobiles are Raven Ridge only . Mobile 3000 series is already Picasso a Raven Ridge Refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I have an Athlon 200GE in my NAS.

You are right I missed the 2000 series. I think that even 2000 series mobiles are Raven Ridge only . Mobile 3000 series is already Picasso a Raven Ridge Refresh.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzen
        Your right 3000 is Picasso, i always thought of them as RR2 when in fact there Picasso.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          Is that Ryzen Raven Ridge or Renoir?
          Renior seems to have good battery life in some laptops, Raven Ridge battery life wasn't to good.
          Here you go: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15911...-of-the-king/6
          Performance competitive with Ryzen (though lower) with 40-50% better battery life. Pretty neat in my book.

Comment

I have a similarly outfitted Flex 5 14ARE05 model. It has been running nicely since upgrading the kernel but one annoyance I have when using it as my main workhorse is when I plug in to external monitor and keyboard and want to keep the lid closed. I have not found a way to have it start from the keyboard -- sometimes even from sleep state. I always have to open it up to start or wake it. Even the case button on the right edge doesn't seem to wake it. I wish it could be made to behave similar to my work macbook where if I have it connected to power, it will wake up or boot on usb activity.

Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied. Now I'm looking into active stylus options for recreational art or maybe note taking....

I still wish I could pay more and have some non-gaming (light, slim) 4000-level ryzen laptops with High DPI displays (2.5K+ even) but it's feeling more and more like Intel / apple have a deal with OEMs or have locked up the supply chain.

Comment

I'm really hoping to see a higher end option. Dual channel ram slots for 32-64gb, a higher than rtx-2060 video, and a decent display and solid build a quality.

All the Ryzen laptops have some critical compromise from that list.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Performance competitive with Ryzen (though lower) with 40-50% better battery life. Pretty neat in my book.
                LinusTechTips just posted a review of a Ryzen 4000 series laptop from HP that gets 14(!) hours of battery life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V3uB12mRrU Considering this and the reviews of the ASUS G14 (a gaming laptop with battery life in the thin-and-light range!), I think whatever single 4000-based laptop that site was testing against is not representative of how the 4000 series actually performs in many/most systems. They really should have included more 4000-based laptops in the review, rather than just one laptop that doesn't match what the Ryzen chips are actually capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
                  ... but it's feeling more and more like Intel / apple have a deal with OEMs or have locked up the supply chain.
                  I have that too. Once you are really trying to buy/find some...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

A bit bigger screen in the Acer one with a bit smaller battery and let's not forget the price difference. The dell notebook is premium one, costing at least 50% more than the acer counterpart.

Comment

Originally posted by tracker1 View Post
                      I'm really hoping to see a higher end option. Dual channel ram slots for 32-64gb, a higher than rtx-2060 video, and a decent display and solid build a quality.

All the Ryzen laptops have some critical compromise from that list.
                      One more asking for "decrippled" products. Exactly why is that not on the market. High demand on "artificial niche" products..

Marketing-guy: Who is going to want a powerfull amd with adequate gfx card and a decent display?
                      Other-Marketing guy: no one - we should rather put the good displays and the good gfx cards to the inferior power hungry intels.
                      Boss: Im pleased to have such a competent team. Consider your annual bonus as granted. Arent we good!?

Comment

Working...
                      X