I've Been Running The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U + Ubuntu 20.04 As My Main System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've Been Running The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U + Ubuntu 20.04 As My Main System

Phoronix: I've Been Running The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U + Ubuntu 20.04 As My Main System

For about one and a half months now I have been using the AMD Ryzen 7 4700U as my main laptop paired with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. It's been working out very well for not even being the top-of-the-line AMD Renoir SKU. Here is some additional commentary for those thinking about one of the new AMD laptops with Linux use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, these things are great value for the money. I was looking the other day at an Ice Lake Dell XPS 13 review. Ryzen is faster, but Ice Lake offers like 50% battery life. Of course, in your case Ryzen is the no-brainer choice, but users needing more mobility, might have to think twice.

That said, why Ubuntu of all distros? Running AMD graphics means you have to be on the bleeding edge anyway, why not go with a less ancient, or maybe a rolling release? (Just curious.)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Yeah, these things are great value for the money. I was looking the other day at an Ice Lake Dell XPS 13 review. Ryzen is faster, but Ice Lake offers like 50% battery life. Of course, in your case Ryzen is the no-brainer choice, but users needing more mobility, might have to think twice.

That said, why Ubuntu of all distros? Running AMD graphics means you have to be on the bleeding edge anyway, why not go with a less ancient, or maybe a rolling release? (Just curious.)
      Besides needing newer kernel (no big deal), the Renoir graphics have been fine. I didn't need a newer Mesa but if so could easily build from source or enable a PPA.

Happy with how Ubuntu 20.04 LTS shaped up with GNOME. With most PTS users being on Ubuntu anyhow, it makes it useful doing development there as well.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Did you try Ubuntu on Wayland?
        please no wayland x11 thread again ...

Michael good choice - I have had my hands on a Thinkpad E15 which has some compareable specs and I was very pleased too. Unfortunately the owner is using Win 10 :S

Besides have you thought about giving PopOS a chance as daily driver?
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 17 July 2020, 11:21 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Sadly this model seems to have been discontinued. it is no longer available on lenovo's web site, and the rate online shop that has the 4700u with 16gb is asking a real premium for it. meanwhile the Flex with similar specs is on the shelf at Costco for $750.

Comment

...besides sad to see that Clear Linux is loosing momentum. I have also dropped it as my daily distro.
            It was just about to become comfortable for Desktop users and then they have announced the step back to server/cloud "only".
            I wish they will change their mind sometime in the future but for now it is too much of a hastle to use it as production distro on a notebook.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Is that Ryzen Raven Ridge or Renoir?
              Renior seems to have good battery life in some laptops, Raven Ridge battery life wasn't to good.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                Is that Ryzen Raven Ridge or Renoir?
                Renior seems to have good battery life in some laptops, Raven Ridge battery life wasn't to good.
                afaik Raven Ridge is only Ryzen 3000 series. (and some desktop athlons)

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

afaik Raven Ridge is only Ryzen 3000 series. (and some desktop athlons)
                  Raven Ridge is 2000 and 3000 series APU, i got an RR in this laptop i am typing from.
                  It's also some Athlon 2X0GE and 3000G
                  Last edited by Nille_kungen; 17 July 2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

please no wayland x11 thread again ...
                    Why not? It's fun,... But, seriously, I switched to Wayland, because of input bugs in JetBrains products under X11. Now my screensharing doesn't work in Slack. However, Wayland FTW!

Comment

Working...
                    X