X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Second that. But mainly for their asinine behavior of naming more or less every application as K-something or some other useless name.
    Dolphin, Zanshin, Elisa, Babe... doesn't sound K-something to me. Besides, it's not like GNOME is any better with stuff like gThumb, gColorChooser, GParted, etc.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 12 October 2019, 12:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• betam4x
    replied
    I suspect that most KDE haters have never fully tried KDE TBH. When I start seeing things like "Breeze is ugly", that is the first clue. Not only can you change the color of various parts of breeze (including the Window decorations), but you can also change to a completely different theme. You cab even make KDE look exactly like MacOS or Windows 10 if you want. Hell there is a Windows 98 theme for those who want to go full retro. Barring that you cab build your own theme using SVGs like I did.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    I always have the impression that people tend to judge without ever having tried for enough time to understand.
    This thing I notice every time we talk about DE, but also about distributions, if you are used to Ubuntu for example you will find other distributions (not derivatives) more difficult, but they are simply different. Personally when I try a distribution or DE I do it for at least a month, just because I want to understand the merits and the defects.

Leave a comment:

• sa666666
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post
    Same thoughts here but mostly for those stupid names. I have no idea what Kaidan, Okular
    Okular is a PDF viewer. While I agree that the name in no way indicates that fact, it's no worse than Gnome naming its PDF viewer 'Evince'. I mean, how does that imply a PDF viewer either?

Point being, many desktops have 'unique' names for apps. Or at least they should, since it makes searching online much easier. It's just that if you use Gnome exclusively then you've gotten used to its naming schemes and idiosyncrasies, and they make sense to you. But don't pretend for one moment that someone that's never used Gnome before wouldn't be just as confused with the naming of some of its apps. To do otherwise is just plain hypocritical.

Leave a comment:

• Termy
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.
    Yeah, one of the most stupid things gnome has ever done (way more stupid than the gnome 3-break^^ ) imho.
    The way KDE (and i think the likes of xfce, mate, too?) does it is so much saner: distinct names for applications, but when you search for "text" in the application menu/krunner, Kate, Kwrite, Calligra etc show up.

And i really don't understand the hate towards Breeze, especially Breeze Dark imho is one of the most beautiful themes in PC-history. Elegant, sleek, calm
    It's all subjective and a matter of taste, sure - but if i compare it to things like oxygen, adwaita, they all look clumsy/bloated/inefficient to me.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The word "hire" was metaphiric. I meant to find volunteers. Or maybe just re purpose existing volunteers. Basically, give these UI touches higher priority.
    It is a high priority. Have you been following the plasma usability iniative? Plasma 5.17 has almost fully been redesigned. And even though the productivity and usability iniative has ended people are still submitting mainly UI improvements. Plasma mobile isn't as popular as the desktop, and it's not as widely used, so it's kind of a lower priority. But with a few months time I think it's development will have gone places.

Leave a comment:

• mikelpr
    replied
    I love KDE but they really have mixed tastes. I like a lot breeze dark and most of the desktop apps, but the whole of kirigami looks like a badly dated implementation of material design concepts (without the style) with unnecessary changes (like their hamburger menu being on the bottom left instead of top, just because). and I really dislike the way Discover shows installation progress when you click on it from the drawer. totally inconsistent. also looking at that weekly update I don't understand how they don't see that it is ugly mixing action icons and navigation (tab) icons in the same header, and to top it off have a header right below the header (as in, with those seams - not just a taller header), irrelevant of the graphic style.
    I really wish they'd just follow google's guidelines but with breeze styling

Leave a comment:

• GB_2
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

The word "hire" was metaphiric. I meant to find volunteers. Or maybe just re purpose existing volunteers. Basically, give these UI touches higher priority.
    Well, we can't force anyone to join us or work on a specific thing, the people just work on what they think is important or want to change. Of course, we welcome every contribution or volunteer and if somebody wants to work only on UI consistency, then sure. With that said, we work on making the UI consistent and look good all the time and consistency is even a KDE goal now :-)

Leave a comment:

• dos1
    replied
    Phoronix - a place where it's "surprising" that software begins to look good after some time of putting effort in it

Originally posted by Cape View Post
    Yes! This will pair very nicely with my Librem5 🤗♥️!

I still hate default theme though. That gray+blue look it's a retina killer 🤢
    Breeze need to be killed
    ​​​​​​
    Use Breeze Dark. It looks awesome.

Leave a comment:

• betam4x
    replied
    To those complainimg about the KDE UI, it can be changed to look the way you want. KDE 4 was certainly a dog, but KDE 5 is far better than any other desktop environments.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X