X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jospoortvliet
    replied
    Originally posted by mikelpr View Post

ah, I get the bottom nav being easier to reach and hadn't thought it would be because of that hehe. a nice alternative to google's recent bottom nav tabbar madness
    but in general it has a weird gingerbread vibe as someone else mentioned

look at this screen from the kirigami page, what were they thinking with that kind of header! The Dive list text has no padding, uses a light font yet it's small
    also the FAB, its little friend (why is it bottom aligned tho), and the hamburger toggle don't cast a satisfying shadow and makes it seem cluttered blending with the list
    Well there's still lots to fix, no doubt about it. I'm not liking it too much, to be honest, and I'm not sure what future it really has, but can't fault the KDE folks for trying. The way Qt and the Linux app ecosystem are going now, they'll be even more irrelevant a decade or two from now, so something has to change and who knows, this might be it. As all GTK based attempts at mobile UI's have been (epic) failures and the Qt ones been quite OK (if it wasn't for Elop I still think the N9 would've changed the industry) at least there is potential.

Leave a comment:

• mikelpr
    replied
    Originally posted by jospoortvliet View Post
    actually not "Just because" but because it is smart to put navigation items on the bottom, like Nokia Meego also did - it is easier to reach. The habit of putting things o top in Andriod is pretty problematic now smartphones get bigger and higher.

Google will introduce an address bar on the bottom in chrome, same with hamburger menus, I guess. Actually there is already an experimental setting for chrome on mobile.

you can dislike the looks but the usability had a fair amount of thought put into it.
    ah, I get the bottom nav being easier to reach and hadn't thought it would be because of that hehe. a nice alternative to google's recent bottom nav tabbar madness
    but in general it has a weird gingerbread vibe as someone else mentioned

look at this screen from the kirigami page, what were they thinking with that kind of header! The Dive list text has no padding, uses a light font yet it's small
    also the FAB, its little friend (why is it bottom aligned tho), and the hamburger toggle don't cast a satisfying shadow and makes it seem cluttered blending with the list

Leave a comment:

• nuetzel
    replied
    Originally posted by ferry View Post
    That said, am I the only one that finds the Breeze icons (the black and white flat icons in KDE and Libreoffice, and now in the Plasma Mobile) both ugly and unusable? Fortunately, they are easily changed to Oxygen.
    'Modern' is the 'old' in the future...
    We're looking 3D not flat. (A knob is knob.)- You're not alone.

Leave a comment:

• jospoortvliet
    replied
    I love KDE but they really have mixed tastes. I like a lot breeze dark and most of the desktop apps, but the whole of kirigami looks like a badly dated implementation of material design concepts (without the style) with unnecessary changes (like their hamburger menu being on the bottom left instead of top, just because).
    actually not "Just because" but because it is smart to put navigation items on the bottom, like Nokia Meego also did - it is easier to reach. The habit of putting things o top in Andriod is pretty problematic now smartphones get bigger and higher.

Google will introduce an address bar on the bottom in chrome, same with hamburger menus, I guess. Actually there is already an experimental setting for chrome on mobile.

you can dislike the looks but the usability had a fair amount of thought put into it.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Bull
    replied
    Love it, and hope to see it ASAP on a Pinephone!

Leave a comment:

• mycomputertips
    replied
    Would love to get off Android one day, and have a simple Linux phone. I used to own a Blackberry, but as soon as they stopped developing their own OS, I had no choice.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And not just on Linux. I mean: how the hell does "Edge", "Safari" or "Chrome" indicate a web browser?
    As we all know, The Edge from U2 likes the browse the world to look for ways to spend his money. People on Safaris browse at animals. People looking at Chrome browse the world in a distorted reflection. That's how.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by sa666666 View Post
    Okular is a PDF viewer. While I agree that the name in no way indicates that fact, it's no worse than Gnome naming its PDF viewer 'Evince'. I mean, how does that imply a PDF viewer either?

Point being, many desktops have 'unique' names for apps. Or at least they should, since it makes searching online much easier. It's just that if you use Gnome exclusively then you've gotten used to its naming schemes and idiosyncrasies, and they make sense to you. But don't pretend for one moment that someone that's never used Gnome before wouldn't be just as confused with the naming of some of its apps. To do otherwise is just plain hypocritical.
    And not just on Linux. I mean: how the hell does "Edge", "Safari" or "Chrome" indicate a web browser?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.
    Not all of them: gThumb still shows up as gThumb, for example. Same goes for GParted.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post

Same thoughts here but mostly for those stupid names. I have no idea what Kaidan, Okular or vvave will do for me as both the silly names and the design don't explain nothing.
    But you do have an idea as to what gThumb or Eolie will do? Honestly, it's not much better over at the GNOME camp.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X