Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairphone 3 Pre-Orders Begin For Ethical Smartphone With Better Specs Than The Librem 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LightDot
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Librem should have just offered mobile software rather then ripping people off with crap hardware at inflated costs.
    I would be totally fine paying them $50 for the mobile software that works on any phone.
    This whole concept that Librem is magic hardware that protects users.. lol
    Wow, you'd be totally fine with paying as much as $50? That's great man!

But.. uhm... you seem to be completely oblivious to the world you live in, not to mention also quite delusional at the same time.

Just because we'd like to have free software that can be installed on any phone (and indeed we do have!), does not mean that the phone manufacturers and service providers will let us install it.

If you can get over this minor obstacle, go right ahead, take the software that will run on Librem and install it on any phone you'd like. It's free, you don't even have to shell out your precious, an completely delusional, $50.

Why delusional? Because you seem to think that shelling out $50 will get Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc. to let you go. Well, news flash for you, they won't let you go and Librem doesn't have a magic wand to make them.

We live in a world of walled gardens, where phone manufacturers and service providers such as Google or Amazon control your data and can prevent you from installing software on the hardware you think you own (you certainly paid for it with cash and personal information...). And not only that, such manufacturers and providers can install or uninstall any software they choose to from your devices, without your... well... interference.

"No user meddling needed or required on your phone, no sir! Just go ahead and YouTube/Instagram/Facebook/purchase crap/waste time/pollute or whatever you do daily, dear user, leave all the rest to us! No, we won't be taking your $50, thank you! We already took your life and take most of the money we let you have, keep the 50. Yes, really, keep it! You know what, come to think of it, we'll double your 50! Yes, we'll double it! just visit Amazon and treat yourself with our select line of products! Aren't we amazing!"

So no, they won't let you go and if you think that simply shelling out $50 will change that, than you are indeed completely and utterly delusional.

The sad thing is, we let them put us in such a situation, by being passive, giving in to capitalist consumer society and letting our governments be run by corporate lobbies that enable monopolies.

RMS was and is completely right and we are, indeed, sheep / idiots / morons / cretins whatever anyone would like to call us.

Now, when someone stands up and fights against this in practically the only way they can, by issuing their own hardware and putting the plans, the software and the communication infrastructure into public reach, they get... laughed at?

O my, what an id...... err... sorry.

Anyway...

...people...

WAKE UP

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Librem 5 have DP AltMode, so it can be used as desktop replacement with USB 3.1 hub with HDMI/DisplayPort output, like for example Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855 and HP Pro Tablet 608 G1.

What about Fairphone 3?

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Considering the vastly different goals of the two project I really don't think comparing them like this is warranted.

The goal for the Fairphone is to make an easily repairable device free of conflict minerals out of standard off-the-shelf components with little to no focus on being fully open or respecting of users' privacy. For the Librem project these two things are literally at the core of everything, as shown by the very unconventional hardware design that eschews standard smartphone components because of how they're full of closed source components that could be doing god knows what. Network chips, which often run their own internal and proprietary OS, are known to be particularly problematic and because of this the ones in the Librem5 sit on their own separate board where they can be completely powered off.

For those who think I'm being overly dramatic about how devices' components running their own closed internal code could be made to do some pretty suspect things I recommend that you watch this talk on the Broadwpn attack or read up on the PoisonTap attack as to what kind of damage a malicious network chip can do:

Leave a comment:

• Girolamo_Cavazzoni
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    Does it have FM Radio?
    Yes, it has. Owner of FP2 (LineageOS without Google) here.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Librem should have just offered mobile software rather then ripping people off with crap hardware at inflated costs.
    I would be totally fine paying them $50 for the mobile software that works on any phone.
    They couldn't do that because it'd be another Jolla on top of libhybris. And that means it still runs Android software pieces underneath. No way to know what's monitored and what's not.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
    Just as a reminder, Fairphone 2 has only community port of Sailfish OS, it works great, but doesn't feature proprietary Android support.
    Does it have FM Radio?
    If it doesn't have google on it...is a good thing

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
    And there hasn't been any official announcement about official 3rd gen support, as either Fairphone would have to pay the license or you would have to pay Jolla directly. But at least community port is likely.
    I can buy the OS after, ...no problem, the question is does it has FM radio, all its sensors,NFC and so on working?
    Because we can forget Google, but the Hardware needs to work..

Leave a comment:

• ChamPro
    replied
    Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    These are all different beasts:
    - Random android handset: gimme your $$, at least once every 2 years. Device controlled by manufacturer + google. Privacy and repairability nowhere to be seen.
    - Librem 5: your device, your rules. Privacy 1st class citizen. Repairablility 2nd class citizen. Hardware limited by availability of GPL drivers.

- Fairphone: Device controlled by google, but materials are sourced ethically. Repairability 1st class citizen. Privacy not looked at. Hardware limited by manufacturing.

I'd say the purism guys had it tougher to cobble it together. Both projects are pretty awesome though.

What is unfortunate with both these projects it that AV1 will (hopefuly) become relevant in about a year's time, and they don't have hw acceleration... So a hw refresh will definitely be in order.
    While I would like AV1 to hurry up, we barely have HEVC/h.265. That only made it into silicon in the last few years and barely any streaming services are using it. It's probably a good 5 years out before AV1 is mainstream.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by Remdul View Post
    I would love to purchase a Fairphone, I don't even care about hardware specs...but Android. Android devices cannot fully function without violating European human rights/privacy laws, so the Fairphone is only 'fair' from a ecological point of view, not so much social. It is still a very badly needed initiative though. I hope Fairphone will support postmarketOS once the upcoming PinePhone has show it to be workable. With a bit of luck, the US Huawei ban will block Huawei from licensing Android, and lead to diversification the mobile OS landscape, for that badly needed competition, and break Google's illegally acquired monopoly.
    Your Comment says it all..
    I also would prize a phone that respects our freedoms..
    Right now only the Inoi r7, and the Jolla C, were released with pure sailfishOS on them..

Jolla C, was a limited edition.. Inoi r7, its like crazy to get it out of Russia..they go till 'Moskva 21' station, and are returned to the seller..
    I know that it was a phone launched for Russia public services with pure saifishOS, but why we can't have it out of Russia...?

The mind set of some Linux users is not the same has others, we sometimes we prize different things,
    I think they should think twice, on selling the phone, or a upgraded version of it..

For all of the projects out there, privacy should be a major concern, at least if thinking in selling in Europe..

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
    Maybe I did not articulate myself clearly. My complain was exactly that Michael compares those phones only by performance, which isn't the point of any of those phones. They all have completely different goals.
    There are also differences in prices. A mainstream phone produced with child labor and 30 days of OS support is a bit cheaper than ethical phone with a long term 10+ year support. OTOH the mainstream phone will soon ship with a 108 megapixel sensor.
    Last edited by caligula; 30 August 2019, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X