No announcement yet.

Purism's PureOS Proclaims Convergence Success For Mobile & Desktop Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Success" at convergence doesn't just mean the same apps running on mobile and desktop, but an actual seamless and well-supported experience.

That means:
    - A significant number of apps running well on mobile and desktop.
    - Apps being able to take advantage of platform differences while still maintaining a similar experience.
    - The ability to move between mobile and desktop without losing my place.

Many operating systems technically had infrastructure for all of these, but they didn't succeed:

- Canonical had convergence, but there wasn't enough adoption.
    - Android can run on PCs, but Google doesn't do that because the failed tablets proved that Android is already too mobile-centric.
    - IIRC there was a universal Windows platform for mobile and desktop, but Windows mobile completely died off.

A dozen or so apps with libhandy is great but doesn't mean you conquered convergence.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Bi...ji...what? I've never seen it on a default install?

OK, why is that "New" button at the top left corner? Why does it say "New" instead of being an icon like "+"?
      Bijiben is GNOME's note-taking app for taking a bit more fancy notes rather than a to-do list. It's like Tomboy.

Comment

I like the idea of convergence, but I think for most applications that I am interested in (VS Code, Inkscape, Blender) it makes no sense at all. And even in cases where it does make sense, like chat applications or browsers, two separate applications would work just as well. All that would be needed is an option to show only the applications that are currently relevant. E.g. while you are in mobile mode you would see Firefox Mobile and normal Firefox while in desktop mode. No need to complicate existing applications and make compromises just so that they adapt dynamically.

Also I would like to mention, that for me there is one type of killer app that would immediately convince me to buy such a device: games! Just look at the Nintendo Switch. It successfully achieved convergence between consoles and mobile consoles. A mobile-desktop convergent device that also has games would be a superset and thus strictly better! And if you think the Switch form factor wouldn't be suitable as a phone, then check out this video:
        I got to check out Moto's gamepad for the moto z2 force and other moto z line up of smartphones. Android's Nintendo Switch? Squarespace FREE 14 DAYS 10% O...

Then in the future you could possibly throw in VR convergence as well, because why not?

I just wish I had a few billion dollars lying around so that I could fund this.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
          I like the idea of convergence, but I think for most applications that I am interested in (VS Code, Inkscape, Blender) it makes no sense at all. And even in cases where it does make sense, like chat applications or browsers, two separate applications would work just as well. All that would be needed is an option to show only the applications that are currently relevant. E.g. while you are in mobile mode you would see Firefox Mobile and normal Firefox while in desktop mode. No need to complicate existing applications and make compromises just so that they adapt dynamically.
          Practical concerns aside (double development time, or lousy implementation of either mobile or desktop mode), I'm pretty sure Star Trek showed exactly this. If not in TNG, in VOY for sure -- drop PADD on console, use main console, pick PADD back up and carry on with the modified data. In fact I remember a VOY episode that used a tricorder as the mobile device (including wireless charging and data transfer), thus foreshadowing both the smartphone form factor in a convergence application and its use as a surreptitious data sniffing device.

So if I see any patent applications on this concept (looking squarely at you, Google and Apple), I'll be pulling out the prior art from the 1980s / 1990s.

Comment

Originally posted by FastCode View Post

That's GRUB
            Yeh, but GRUB isn't convergent. Bash runs on my phone. Just wanted to say that the thumbnail asked for that comment.

Comment

Come to think of it, Microsoft pulled this off to some degree of success with their stock Windows 10 apps. Well, for as long as Windows 10 Mobile lasted, anyway.

In particular, the Weather app was convergent to great effect.

Comment

Working...
              X