Purism's PureOS Proclaims Convergence Success For Mobile & Desktop Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism's PureOS Proclaims Convergence Success For Mobile & Desktop Support

Phoronix: Purism's PureOS Proclaims Convergence Success For Mobile & Desktop Support

Purism announced this morning that their PureOS Linux distribution for their Librem laptops and forthcoming Librem 5 platform has achieved the goal of "convergence"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm interested for sure, but I don't think I'd be going around boasting about "beating the duopoly" when nobody is using your products.

Comment

Thumbnail of the article screams for this comment: bash converged Linux On The Desktop a Long Time Ago!

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post
        Thumbnail of the article screams for this comment: bash converged Linux On The Desktop a Long Time Ago!
        That's GRUB

Comment

Epiphany have a responsive UI too that you can use same Epiphany on a desktop and it resizes down to smaller screens.
          I would like to convergence for Gedit or some code text editor so you can code-on-the-go with your phone.

An important thing for convergence is cloud storage such as Google Drive, Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive.

What convergence would you like to see on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I would like to convergence for Gedit or some code text editor so you can code-on-the-go with your phone.
            It would also serve as a note-taking application.

An important thing for convergence is cloud storage such as Google Drive, Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive.

What does this have to do with the article? The article is about UI convergence...

Comment

I dunno. Been there, done that, now working in an industry with a future. Turns out pretty much nobody wants convergence between desktop/laptop, phone, TV, and in-dash infotainment. What they really want is a faster horse.

Comment

Distrowatch says Pine64 is cooking up a $149 PinePhone running UBPorts (community version of Ubuntu Touch) for later this year:
                People wanting to test out GNU/Linux-based phone solutions at a lower price point may want to examine the PinePhone. The PinePhone is expected to run UBports (possibly with other operating system options) and should retail for $149. Both devices are expected to be available sometime in 2019.
                I'm pretty sure that UBPorts claims to achieve some degree of convergence. Pine64 actually gets products out the door to my understanding. Could be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  I dunno. Been there, done that, now working in an industry with a future. Turns out pretty much nobody wants convergence between desktop/laptop, phone, TV, and in-dash infotainment. What they really want is a faster horse.
                  Have these people tried any form of convergence?

Comment

Epiphany have a responsive UI too that you can use same Epiphany on a desktop and it resizes down to smaller screens.

So does Eolie, which is a much better Epiphany than Epiphany.

As for cloud storage: Nautilus has Google Drive integration and Polo File Manager has Google Drive, Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive integration.

Comment

Working...
                    X