There Still Are Some Pain Points For Linux Gaming Moving Into 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    as for the GPU output, I saw a 25% Performance Increase on the RX 480 after 1 year of MESA devs Optimizing, and I expect the situation with Vega to Mimick it. As I recall, some wine games with Gallium outperform their windows counterparts just due to the Core OS performing better. Hopefully someday games catchup and no longer use wrappers.
    Yep the rate of improvement is fantastic on the Mesa drivers. When I first got my r9 290 basically nothing worked properly. I had to use the free drivers for a good desktop experience and the fglrx for gaming, and even then I would get dismal framerates compared to what I knew my card was capable of. Plus things would lag on the desktop using the proprietary driver.

Whereas now I get a better out of the box experience on moden Linux distros than any nvidia card. Things just work. Huge turn around.

Comment

"Maybe Linux users could try actually buying games if they wanted people to port them!"

That's funny since piracy is rampant on Windows but Devs don't seem to mind and port anyways. Incidentally, I never paid full price when I used Windows, so why should I start now?

Comment

Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post

According to the manufacturer's website:

...And that's only for the mice. There's apparently no keyboard or other peripheral support listed on their site in any way. I'd say they're no better than most other manufacturers. In fact, they list visiting Sourceforge for drivers, which appear to be built using, or at least based on, the open source Razer community drivers. Talk about taking advantage of the community!

...in order to get even the mouse working. I'm not saying that the mouse isn't great...but their Linux support is definitely < great.
        i don't know but i have used roccat mouse and keyboard for the last 6 years and they have been working great with the opensource drivers. the dev who made those drivers got the hardware from roccat to test stuff and some form of documentation also afaik, but that was it. Still i think they were one of the first to at least support opensource dev with the hardware, thatswhy we have nearly featurecomplete software for it: macros, announcers, notifications, profiles and countless ways to configure.

best thing about roccat is that if you have both the keyboard and mouse, you can have easyshift combos with both of the devices, like holding button down on one and doing tasks with other, countless configuration options

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post

i don't know but i have used roccat mouse and keyboard for the last 6 years and they have been working great with the opensource drivers. the dev who made those drivers got the hardware from roccat to test stuff and some form of documentation also afaik, but that was it. Still i think they were one of the first to at least support opensource dev with the hardware, thatswhy we have nearly featurecomplete software for it: macros, announcers, notifications, profiles and countless ways to configure.

best thing about roccat is that if you have both the keyboard and mouse, you can have easyshift combos with both of the devices, like holding button down on one and doing tasks with other, countless configuration options

https://www.upload.ee/image/7829847/...7_12.33.14.png
          Unfortunately, the developer stopped contributing to this project. I own lots of Roccat peripherals (Kone XTD Optical, Kone EMP, Kone AIMO and Isku FX), but only 2 of those devices are supported by the now discontinued project. I'm currently trying to get my Kone XTD Optical working with libratbag/piper instead. Their goal is to have a tool for all vendors (currently only mice are supported).

Comment

"If the games properly target modern SDL2, a recent glibc, etc, the games are fairly portable across Linux distributions."

The SDL2 advice is a great one, but for glibc, on the contrary, it is better to build against an older glibc so that the game works on most distros. (Or better, don’t use glibc at all? I haven’t tried that, just an idea.)

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
              what's worse the cheat engines are beginning to detect wine and block it by detecting 'wine64' vs win64 (EasyAntiCheat does this now) and it's up to game developers to enable wine or the game fails to run. They are able to detect wines own function calls in DLLs and then block.

This is going to sink wine for gaming if no action is taken

​​​​​​
              Please fill bugreports when this happens, those are bugs in wine. Quoting developer's FAQ:
              The goal of Wine is that an application will see no difference running under Wine rather than Windows. So any method to detect running under Wine is unsupported and may break without warning in the future.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hi-Angel;n998387]
                Please fill bugreports when this happens, those are bugs in wine. Quoting developer's FAQ: [/

Oh, I did there's a bug reported by me about this issue.

Last edited by spstarr; 02 January 2018, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianP View Post

Unfortunately, the developer stopped contributing to this project. I own lots of Roccat peripherals (Kone XTD Optical, Kone EMP, Kone AIMO and Isku FX), but only 2 of those devices are supported by the now discontinued project. I'm currently trying to get my Kone XTD Optical working with libratbag/piper instead. Their goal is to have a tool for all vendors (currently only mice are supported).
                  yeah i know that. KoneXTD optical should work though, at least i have that one installed. i have the laser version myself though and it works without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post

yeah i know that. KoneXTD optical should work though, at least i have that one installed. i have the laser version myself though and it works without issues.
                    Yeah, it does. The Kone XTD and Isku FX work splendid. Libratbag only supports the Kone XTD (not optical) at the moment and that's why I want to add support for this one (should be a lot easier to start with this device as it's quite similar).

Comment

Originally posted by spstarr View Post
                      Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                      Please fill bugreports when this happens, those are bugs in wine. Quoting developer's FAQ: [/

Oh, I did there's a bug reported by me about this issue.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44235
                      Ugh… I know it's a rant, but I can't stay silent. If this reply from the bugreport gonna turn into an official position
                      Originally posted by Nikolay Sivov
                      > > The goal of Wine is that an application will see no difference running under Wine rather than Windows.
                      >
                      > The bug in question is clearly a violation of that sentence.

I don't think so, but maybe it should be worded better on that page. What was meant to say is that the goal is to be compatible enough that an application should see no difference in behavior, and therefore should not apply any workarounds, different paths, and so on. But, if developer wants to detect if it's running under Wine, there's a way to do so, and there always will be.
                      I am officially acknowledge that Wine as is, is almost dead, and seriously needs a relaunch, like, I don't know, "Brandy", with Blackjack and hookers; or rather with C++ and Rust, and the goal that Nikolay just busted.

You know, I stopped attempts to contribute once I found it's in C89 and they intentionally (why? — just because, for no reason, I asked them) don't even try to move to C99 (not to say of something bigger), but at least I hoped those who're still working on it continuing to make something useful — objectively, if I didn't contribute before, it just stays the same, nothing changed. But at this point they're punching their userbase.

Comment

Working...
                      X