X-Plane Reports 1.4% Of Their Customers Are Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlau View Post
    They sort of have to since a quarter of their userbase and one of the main developers uses Macs...
    You probably misunderstand it. macOS dont support compatibility profiles just like Mesa. Except on Mac it's would default to OpenGL 2.1 while Mesa is 3.0.

Why some developers ever use compat profiles on Linux while their Mac code never used them is beyond me, guess their codebase is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

I'm on Nvidia
      ​​​
      I don't have any Nvidia cards so I cannot test it. Did you try to disable the clouds and the --force_run parameter?

This is the command to get it running on amdgpu (clouds working):
      MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE=-GL_AMD_pinned_memory ./X-Plane-x86_64 --force_run

Comment

1.4% is good compared to the overall steam user share

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Yes, indeed! Most of the desktop Linux users were Ubuntu users, so Ubuntu f*cking up their experience must pissed them off. It's such simple. If DE experience doesn't matter Ubuntu won't be so popular in the past. Ps. your comment seems to be ignoring common sense. What do you mean by 1% mainstream users? It seems you forgot 'I've no idea' tag.
          What I am saying is that I have severe doubts that the Linux user community - desktop or not - Ubuntu or not - do use Linux exclusively for a specific desktop environment. I strongly believe it takes more than that to run these people off! I feel pitty for everyone who actually uses Linux for unity though ;-) It's not even worth the installation hurdle IMHO :-P

Edit: Or whatever. Maybe you are right and people used to use it bc of Unity. I tend to overestimate people :-P
          Last edited by Kemosabe; 08 November 2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HenriPablo View Post
            Speaking of x-plane on linux, is there a workaround to make the Saitek rudder pedals work? X-plane does not recognize them for me (I asked about and looked for a fix, filled a ticket with Laminiar too). The strange thing is that FlightGear recognizes them without a problem, so I'm thinking it's not a hardware issue with the pedals (hopefully). Anywho, I'm using the latest Mint and X-P 11.
            I use them without any issues and without any hacks, just plug n play. I had to download XSaitekPanels for all my panels, but other than that it's vanilla KDE Neon 16.04.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Edit: Or whatever. Maybe you are right and people used to use it bc of Unity. I tend to overestimate people :-P
              For 'true' Linux users it's not a big problem and they're using Linux, because it's Open Source, fast, secure etc. However, Ubuntu was sold as Linux for people/newbies and it gained some momentum. I saw Ubuntu being used in restaurants. There must be a reason why Linux steam usage dropped so bad. Maybe it's not, because of Ubuntu change, but it's possible. It's just my theory which may be completely wrong. We'll need statistics about Ubuntu market share to check it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

For 'true' Linux users it's not a big problem and they're using Linux, because it's Open Source, fast, secure etc. However, Ubuntu was sold as Linux for people/newbies and it gained some momentum. I saw Ubuntu being used in restaurants. There must be a reason why Linux steam usage dropped so bad. Maybe it's not, because of Ubuntu change, but it's possible. It's just my theory which may be completely wrong. We'll need statistics about Ubuntu market share to check it.
                Isn't it known that the Chinese player influx disturbed the picture a little lately? Even macOS decreased and the windows usage heavily shifted to older versions ...

Comment

The most obvious conclusion? "These days, Windows suxx for advanced users". Why? Well, if someone is about to fly plane, they're obviously have to be a bit smarter than Average Joe, because flying large modern airplane takes hell a lot just to take it off and even more than than to land it back in one piece. I gues many Linux users who want to fly the "real" plane are just using FGFS, which is free and quite realistic, when it comes to plane controls and somesuch. Sure, its graphics could be uplifted, but overall it could give one quite the same pain in the rear real pilots are facing. (and um, you don't want me to be your captain on that large airplane, haha)

Comment

Originally posted by tzui View Post

I don't have any Nvidia cards so I cannot test it. Did you try to disable the clouds and the --force_run parameter?

This is the command to get it running on amdgpu (clouds working):
                    Thank you! Your command works perfectly!

Comment

Working...
                    X