Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    on cable. frame lag.
    The problem is elsewhere then. PC or network issues, or you have a defective device.

Comment

Do you know if the controller works via Bluetooth in Raspberry Pi 3 (without additional receiver)?

Comment

Originally posted by spike411 View Post
        Do you know if the controller works via Bluetooth in Raspberry Pi 3 (without additional receiver)?
        It's not a bluetooth device. It needs its own dongle.

The Steam Link has a dedicated (internal) radio for it (basically an integrated dongle), so you can just pair it to the Link and use it.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          steamlink 2 for HD plz.
          Samsung now have a Steam Link app for their recent TVs. According to this news release: "it supports full 4K streaming on 2017 TV models".

Depending on the game it might not be worth going 4K though, as surely it adds latency to the stream. That's assuming you can encode 4K at a decent framerate anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            It's not a bluetooth device. It needs its own dongle.

The Steam Link has a dedicated (internal) radio for it (basically an integrated dongle), so you can just pair it to the Link and use it.
            Eeh? Not in my experience, where O have to plug the dongle myself...
            Then, the one I have is quite old, maybe they integrated it later.

GPU encoding is only supported on nVidia AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
              Eeh? Not in my experience, where O have to plug the dongle myself...
              Then, the one I have is quite old, maybe they integrated it later.
              The pairing requires the dongle or the usb cable, then it works without. https://steamcommunity.com/app/35338...8433104447955/
              also here a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tGGKnwBnM8

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                The pairing requires the dongle or the usb cable, then it works without. https://steamcommunity.com/app/35338...8433104447955/
                also here a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tGGKnwBnM8
                Exactly. Then, you could use the dongle in your PC. By pressing the A button while powering up the controller, it switches between Steam Link and dongle. So it's possible to use one controller on two devices. (not at the same time of course)

Comment

Can you beam an entire linux desktop in? Or is this thing like a Chromecast (works only with Chrome, because there's "Chrome" in the name, and if you're not happy please go away)

Can you say play a four-player deathmatch with a quake-like by streaming to four Steam Links? Assuming GPU mulitasking keeps up and GPU encoding too (I think 720p60 might be fine for certain games too, as long as it works). At worst, using some silly set up like four GT1030 or four RX550 in a PC as I'm not sure the GPU would multitask among several user sessions.

Why I'm asking that is that GNU/Linux doesn't have licensing restrictions, unlike Windows. You're free to run forty thin clients if you can, without being smothered under client access licenses and remote user licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                    Can you beam an entire linux desktop in? Or is this thing like a Chromecast (works only with Chrome, because there's "Chrome" in the name, and if you're not happy please go away)
                    Kinda, you can add third party games to Steam and this allowed people to add "explorer.exe" (the Windows GUI) as a "game" so they could do a remote-desktop (this starts a new GUI process though). Don't know if it still works.

Can you say play a four-player deathmatch with a quake-like by streaming to four Steam Links?
                    No, main issue is that you can start only ONE game process on the main PC due to Steam DRM rules (and the fact that most games aren't designed to be started multiple times on the same system anyway).

So you'd have to use advanced virtualization and keep 4 VMs with 4 GPUs with PCIE passthrough (or the newer AMD pro cards that can be shared between VMs) on the PC.

There are games that support the old-school "split screen multiplayer" though, and those work fine (as that's a single game process).

Why I'm asking that is that GNU/Linux doesn't have licensing restrictions, unlike Windows. You're free to run forty thin clients if you can, without being smothered under client access licenses and remote user licenses.
                    Yeah, but last I tried (some years ago) free thinclient software and remote-desktop solutions are rather underwhelming.
                    Best of the bunch (nearly indistinguishable from using the main PC, at least on Gigabit LAN) was X2go, but its user interface was buggy as hell.

Comment

Long ago I tried the first Quake on X11 terminals actually (a caveat was it ran in a 320x200 window on a 1024x768 monitor. this was Unix not linux!). We could play two players on the same machine (two terminals) but it didn't work with a third.

Thanks for the answer, indeed I thought about that Radeon Pro, this would make it a luxury albeit you would still share one case, one PSU, one PCIe SSD, hard drives.
                      I have the intuition four GPUs in passthrough might not work on a consumer system but maybe they do on say a Threadripper.
                      Well, I'm irrationally interested in the idea.
                      Another one would be to do that 'lan party in a box' on the 40 core / 80 thread monster : take the LLVMpipe vs OpenSWR showdown to a literal team deathmatch. A stupid use of enterprise resources but it might be fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X